Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to find war memorial please

JENNIFER GOLDING

Re: Uncle Fred John Clarke, 11th Queens Royal West Surrey. Private G/10832

I'd love to see the memorial with his name on. Excellent other advice from readers recently.

He was born in Lewisham, and before enlisting at Lambeth was living in Streatham.

Thank you. Jenny nee Clarke

There's no guarantee that he will be named on any local war memorial. Streatham war memorial has no names, but there was a roll of honour (now lost) with 730 names. There are further details on the Streatham Society website: https://www.streathamsociety.org.uk/ww1-roll-of-honour.html

• Admin
3 hours ago, JENNIFER GOLDING said:

Re: Uncle Fred John Clarke, 11th Queens Royal West Surrey. Private G/10832

I'd love to see the memorial with his name on. Excellent other advice from readers recently.

He was born in Lewisham, and before enlisting at Lambeth was living in Streatham.

Thank you. Jenny nee Clarke

I see there has been significant contribution on your earlier thread.

He is apparently named on the Camberley Memorial Cross, Camberley Surrey

https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/name/39991

It was reported the Memorial Cross was unveiled Wednesday 30th August  1922 by the then Duke of York.  Looks like a search of the 1921 Census for relatives who may have moved there.

https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/100344

42 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

He is apparently named on the Camberley Memorial Cross, Camberley Surrey

Camberley Names WW1 A-C.jpg

Thank you everyone for all the input. I assumed his name would be where he was born or enlisted, but his Grandmother and Auntie and her family lived in Farnborough and surrounding district, so Camberley makes sense. They are on my father's side of my family. His two brother's were also in WW1. Their parents died of TB when they were school age.

My mother's family farmed in Cove, near Farnborough for over 300 years, so I have been there often.

Many thanks again.

To Paul C78, Many thanks for your reply and information.  Other reply has found his name on Camberley War Memorial. His Grandmother and Aunt and family lived at Farnborough Hants, close by.

• Admin

Most public memorials were raised by subscription, there is no reason why he should not be on multiple memorials, e.g. church; workplace; parent/wife’s residence and often, no obvious connection.