Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Magro ..Maltese Ex -Servicemens Assoc of NSW ( sub branch RSL of Australia )

andrew magro

We are currently seeking photos of these mens Headstones /Plaque if anyone are near these cemetaries .Thank you 

Francesco Bartolo Reg No 823 .26th Batt.1st AIF .... Heath Cemetary ,Plot 1 ,Row A, Grave 16.

Francis Bellia ....Reg No 7209 . 1st Batt.1st AIF ......Meteren Military Cemetary .Plot 4 ,Row K, Grave 864.

Andrew Camilleri....Reg 7212 ,62nd Batt,1st AIF ......Tyne Cot Military Cemetary..Grave XX11 ,Row B,Grave 14 

Frank Brown....5th Div Medium Trench Mortar Battery.1st AIF....Ypres Reservor North Cemetary ,Plot 1,Row D,Grave 71

Waldemar Beck reg No 6969 .16th Batt,1st AIF ...Boisguillaume Communal Cemetary Extension  ( known locally as Cimitera de la Mares des Champs  Grave D6B

Charles Bonavia Reg No 157 ,11th Batt,1st AIF .Charles died on  landing at the beach at Gallipoli and his body was never found ..but there is a plaque on ANZAC beach with his name on it. 

If anyone can supply these photos of headstones or plaque I will recognise them in a upcoming book on these fine ANZACS  .

My email is (Removed by Moderator) 

thank you 

• Admin

@margaretdufay might be able to get the Meteren one for you. There is an Australian War Graves photographic project page on Facebook, might be worth contacting them? 
Your email address was removed from your post as spam bots can scrap information like that. Members can communicate off forum via Private Message.

Michelle 

Thank you Michelle ...i am not very good at computors and my little 6 year old grandson is not here to whizz through the computor to help me ... I have contacted that lady seeking info ....U r the best ! 

• Admin

My friend in Belgium is getting Tyne Cot and Ypres Reservoir for you, hopefully early next week.

Michelle ..That is outstanding news ....If I can give a brief history of the 2 men .First ,Private Andrew Camilleri Reg 7212 was born in Malta approx 1894  and at around the 18 years of age joined the Malta Militaria which was the 1st Kings Own Malta Regiment  before immigrating to Sydney ,Australia .He joined the Australian Imperial Force in January ,1917. He was initially put in the newly formed 62nd battalion but on disbandment transferred to the 35th Battalion. Andrew was involved in the Battle of Messines and the first Battle of Passchendaele on 12th October, 1917. On the same day Andrew was killed in action  and buried at the Tyne Cot Cemetery ..His mum chose the inscription on his grave stone which reads ....".Enter not into judgement O Lord with this thy servant" 

The other man ...Gunner Frank Brown  was born 14th February ,1886 in Valletta ,Malta .His Dad Joseph Brown was I think a Major in the British Army who married a Maltese girl  and lived in Malta . They immigrated to Australia in 1913 with Frank joining his dad working at the Garden Island Naval Dockyards here in Sydney ,Australia .Frank joined the Australian Imperial Force in October 1916  and was put in the 5th Divisional Medium Trench Mortar Battery which was new to the British Army .He saw action at the 2nd Battle of Bullecourt,May ,1917 then the Battle of the Menin Road. At this battle on the 5th September ,1917 Frank was killed in action when a shell landed amongst his battery killing 4 of his mates as well . he was buried at the Ypres Reservoir North cemetery . I keep in contact with his niece Helen Zammitt who lives here in Sydney ,Australia .

On behalf of Both Helen and I and the Maltese Ex Servicemens Association of NSW which is a sub branch of our Returned Services League of Australia I say thank you .   

• Admin

Please acknowledge Genevra Charsley for providing photos for your book.

1B963E68-FF0A-4B37-B1FD-EE0738DA3C81.jpeg

74C87B44-AD11-4E37-9FB1-493B8A5647B7.jpeg

• Admin

93E837BE-D5B8-40D5-867E-1158F76EA860.jpeg

9326FBEF-3750-43A4-85A9-7A01EB65C6AC.jpeg