Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grenadier Guards

eagleeye

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused about the whereabouts of my grandfather during the 1914 campaign in France/Belgium, can anyone help?

He was in the RAMC and was awarded the 1914 star after serving in France from October 1914. That bit is clear.

However he mentions in his letters that he was 'in Wellington Barracks and will be leaving with the Grenadiers tomorrow for France'

After researching I discovered that the 2Bn Grenadiers left for France in August 1914 but they left from Chelsea barracks.

The unit based at Wellington barracks at that time were the 3rd Bn Grenadiers.

The trouble is that the 3rd Bn did not move to France until 1915!

So he was at Wellington Barracks and was in France from October 1914 but which Grenadier Bn was he with?

Any ideas

Rod

Perhaps they simply needed extra medical staff for the btn. going to France and your man was hauled in? I assume it was all hands to the pump and 'needs must' therefore while he might have been stationed at a different barracks, he simply joined up with the France-bound btn. en route/at the docks?

Des

P.S. Absolutely nothing to back that up .. but sounds reasonable given the situation at the time?

Having served in the RAMC myself, I can confirm that it if highly likely that you Great Grandfather, might well have been attached to the 3rd Gren Guards, but when say the 1st was due to deploy, they my have sent out a signal to other Battalions in the Regiment and asked for volunteers, to which you G`Grandfather, answered. I can give an example though not WW1 related. I was part of the new air assault brigade a few years back, and a signal came threw that one unit needed medics to deploy to Cyprus, my unit wasn`t going but I volunteered and went out with this unit, maybe thats what happened to your relative. I should imagine that the battalion that stayied behind, then requested another medic when there time came to deploy. I hope I`ve been of some help.

Hello Rod,

The 2GG's were stationed at Chelsea Barracks prior to embarkation in August 1914. I believe that all battalions of the Guards left from Wellington Barracks however. They paraded before the King when leaving London, so it is possible that he was with the 2nd Battalion when he was at Wellington Barracks. I'll check some sources for the 2nd Battalion when I get home and let you know.

Regards,

Jim

www.geocities.com/sirjames1750

No 2 Co. 2GG Living History Organization

Jim,

In your checking, could you see if you can find any mention of George Greig, Grenadier Guards 29551 Guardsman ( see Black Soldiers posting)

Thanks, Christine