Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mudd, R West Surrey SWB served two years but only entitlement?

Stuart T

I have Silver War Badge no B172587. The Medal Roll on Ancestry (WO429/3047) shows 157600 H P G Mudd, enlisted 2/4/17, discharged age 19 on 8/3/19 (no overseas service).

His birth is registered in Croydon, Q2 of 1899. I cannot find any medal entitlement on Discovery or Ancestry. Wouldn't he have at least a BWM?

3 minutes ago, Stuart T said:

I have Silver War Badge no B172587. The Medal Roll on Ancestry (WO429/3047) shows 157600 H P G Mudd, enlisted 2/4/17, discharged age 19 on 8/3/19 (no overseas service).

His birth is registered in Croydon, Q2 of 1899. I cannot find any medal entitlement on Discovery or Ancestry. Wouldn't he have at least a BWM?

No medal would be due if he didn't serve overseas (except in certain specific situations).

Craig

Oh. My only other experience was knowing one of the last handful of WW1 men. He had only been in the Navy for a month at the Armistice and, although he lacked the Victory Medal for overseas service in a theatre of war, he definitely had a BWM.

Oh. My only other experience was knowing one of the last handful of WW1 men. He had only been in the Navy for a month at the Armistice and, although he lacked the Victory Medal for overseas service in a theatre of war, he definitely had a BWM.

The navy did not have the overseas service requirement that the army did.

Craig

If you read the requirements for the eligibility to the BWM from the War Office, versus those of the Admiralty, you will see they are different.

Ok, understood. Thanks.

It's a strange difference, but someone, somewhere, thought the criteria should be different for some reason.

Craig