Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Ambulance Unit?

Hilary

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. I’ve split this into a new topic. What was her name please, and can you post the photo? Thank you.

Michelle 

• Admin

I might be wrong but I don’t think the womens medal index cards are digitised. That’s assuming she served overseas.

Michelle,

Women's medal index cards are digitised. but only available online at The National Archives. Ancestry have women's medal rolls.

Regards,

Alf McM

• Admin

Thanks Alf. Waiting for @Hilary to come back with the photo. 

Hello Hilary,

Thanks for posting the photo, it's very interesting. Unfortunately, I am unable to identify the unit. I would be interested to know which it is. Do you know if Rhoda had any nursing training?

Regards,

Alf McM

I was always told she joined the ambulance corps in order to find her brother who was missing in action later confirmed dead I visited his grave in contrary cemetery she returned home probably had some nursing experience as she later married a soldier she had nursed who lost his leg 

There are differences in the 'uniform' and headwear. The woman with the dog and those on her left seem to have very different headwear to most of the others. Different cap badges on show as well.

The lapel badges on show seem to be Women's Legion, Rhoda has two? I can find WAAC photos with a WL badge but these don't look like WAAC cap badges. WL badge makes the photo after July 1915.

An interesting group photo with possibly different units or a newly created group still wearing remnants of previous units.

She may have moved to an ambulance driving role later. Incidently the term 'ambulance corps' is a bit generic, she may have become a VAD, FANY or BRCS, there are other possible ambulance units.

I've looked for a VAD card, MIC, medal roll and WAAC record with no results. Could she have gone by another name other than Rhoda?

TEW

Just found this photo on another site which shows Women's Legion members. Headwear & cap badge looks a good match as does the context.

https://www.prints-online.com/womens-legion-pulling-broken-ambulance-wwi-14229514.html

Edited by TEW

Tew,

You're right about Women's Legion, although the variety in headwear is interesting. WL had Ambulance Units, with women being the drivers, but brimmed hats were obviously not practical for drivers. It seems that the Ambulance units did not serve abroad. Some women have a dark patch on their left arm, perhaps they were attached to the Royal Flying Corps. The photo was presumably taken before early 1917, when WAAC style uniforms would be worn. 

There is a tree on Ancestry for Hannah Rhoda Evans from Hawarden, who married Ernest Taylor from Ewloe in 1924. In 1939 she referred to herself as H. Rhoda Taylor, presumably Rhoda was her preferred first name.   https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/59010341/person/32040152314/facts

The National Archives WO 162/62 is a list of motor drivers with the WAAC. These were, as far as I know, members of the WL. The list apparently includes drivers units. Unfortunately it has not been digitised. However, I vaguely remember that one of the smaller family history/military websites had transcribed this record and it was possible t look up a particular driver, you couldn't look at the whole list. I know can't remember which website it was, but will have a look. EDIT - Just realised that these records are on Findmypast, but there is no mention or Hannah or Rhoda Evans.

Hilary,

Was your great uncle's name Ernest Taylor?

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
Findmypast note added

Sorry Alf, somehow missed your reply although I did spot your addition to another Women's League topic.

I also saw more topics on the WL last night including some hi-res photos. The dark crimped? type cap plus the WL badge seemed to be the only consistent items.

Hilary suggests Hannah/Rhoda joined up to search for her missing brother.

One would think that search would take her into a theatre of war. I looked for WL medal rolls but there are none, those WL that did enter a theatre should have medals but issued under what unit?

I can see two male Evans who enlisted in Hawarden that could be the brother.

1090 & 240263 Edgar Evans, Hawarden or Sandycroft depending on source. Died of wounds in Egypt 9/3/18.

53057 P C Evans. 30/8/17 Previously Reported Wounded, Now Reported Missing. Full name - Philip Charles Evans, correct number is 53957, mother is Marie from Doveyscroft, Pentree, Hawarden.

Date of death now given as 30/7/17 but his GRRF has the wrong initials, number and date of 3/8/1917.

Buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery.

Not particularly clear as to when his death would be confirmed but 'missing' from late July 1917. There's potential that he had actually been buried with the wrong details making him seem to be missing.

Possible that Hannah/Rhoda left the WL and joined another unit for the search? assuming Philip Charles is the brother.

TEW 

Yes we called him Ernie 

I know she did drive (no test)and post WW2 when NHS came in she drove for local doctors 

I tried various family history sites and war medals sites etc no luck so any help is really appreciated thanks again hilary 

Joseph price was brothers name ,change of father ,buried in contay cemetery he was assigned to the south Lancashire 22420 he’s down as age 10 but I think it is supposed to be 20

They are MT drivers of the Womens Legion attached to the Army Service Corps and wearing ASC cap badges and WL collar badges. Clearly employed as ambulance crews. The "man" seated next to Rhoda is in fact a woman, note the way her coat is done up.      Pete.

1 hour ago, Hilary said:

Joseph price was brothers name ,change of father ,buried in contay cemetery he was assigned to the south Lancashire 22420 he’s down as age 10 but I think it is supposed to be 20

CWGC have him as Joshua 22426 buried Contay, died 17/10/16 Aged 19. Queensferry.

There is also a medal card to a Joseph J Price Army Service Corps M/22426 who survived the war.

As I can't see any medal rolls to WL I assume they would be issued by ASC?

TEW

Hilary,

Joshua Price was not Rhoda’s brother, he was her nephew, and was born in 1897.. His parents were Rhoda’s sister Mary Elizabeth Evans {born about 1874} and Joshua Price. They were married in Chester in 1894. Joshua senior appears to have died in 1898. Mary Elizabeth married Thornton in 1902. Joshua died on 17th October 1916.

Your photo was taken somewhere in the U.K.  Women's Legion drivers were under control of the Army Service Corps within the U.K. The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps was formed in early 1917. The Women's Legion was a voluntary body, not a unit of the British Army. WL drivers who wanted to serve in France had to enlist in the WAAC, who controlled all WL drivers within France. The drivers wore WAAC uniforms with WL badges. This explains why the photo had to be taken in the UK. In the absence of any medal records it is likely Rhoda never served abroad.

Joshua's service records have survived. They include the attached files, dated July 1924. {images courtesey of Ancestry} I believe these letters confirm the date when Rhoda went searching for her 'brother'. She was actually looking for Joshua's grave.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1219/images/30973_184485-00900?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=f4df9b3c845efc4fa495cb89a2abcb23&usePUB=true&_phsrc=pEt6878&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=1600755

Regards,

Alf McM

image.png

image.png

Thanks Alf I deposited the letters in the archives and full filled my great grandmothers request by visiting the grave and putting Welsh poppy seeds I was due to go back this year but unfortunately can’t 

I found the war graves commisssion very helpful it those who survived the war are more difficult to track down movements I even got to visit the field station Joseph was taken to and read of his injuries 

my own father (I was brought up by my grandfather who I always referred to as dad )retuned from WW1 a sargent but his actions are difficult to find Although I have medal records I know little else

thank you for all your help hilary