Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Middlesex with 28th Div in Salonika

Jim Hastings

Morning Salonika experts 

Well first time I've encountered Middlesex Regt or Salonika and although I'm awaiting some books, my research so far has left me very much still in the dark. Can anyone give me a heads up on 3rd Middlesex's war in Salonika please? I have a rellie who joins them in March 1916 from the 24th Res Bn and stays with them until the end of the war ... and he is a victim of the infamous malaria .... just wondered what his war was like

Appreciate any heads up, know WD is not digitalised 

Happy Sunday all

Cheers, Jim

Hi Jim,

The 3rd Middlesex are not specifically mentioned in the official history, however the Brigade they belonged to,  85th are mentioned in both volumes. These are available on-line and the links are here:

Ah I had no idea they were online, great thank you, I'll have a delve and see what I can work out. I'm toying with idea of getting the Die Hards war history too, but have seen comments that little on Salonika in there. But MO will keep me entertained, many thanks

There are a few pages in Volume 2 of The Die Hards in the Great War that might be worth a read - pages 294 to 305 span from the 3rd Battalion arrival in Salonika in December 1915 to the end of the campaign. They can be read online for free here https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.$b742714&view=1up&seq=320&skin=2021

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Jim,

There's little to add to Gardener Bill's post, except that we now have a campaign bibliography, (an idea that stemmed from a post by Maureene), and that where they could be traced links have been attached  when titles are available online, either free from The Internet Archive, of for a fee from Kindle. The bibliography can be downloaded free of charge from the Salonika Campaign Society website, (listed under publications), and we plan to update it annually to reflect new publications, and the discovery of older ones.

Keith

Wow! Again did not realise online! (There's a reason I'm a history teacher I suppose ... still a bit techy dinosaur), thanks Peter, something to dig into 

Sadly many of the earlier books on the Salonika campaign are really hard to find. I'm off to a copyright library for a few days next week with a list of about 7 titles, which scarcely ever come up on the used book market, although to be fair, one rare fiction title set around Doiran, written by a CQMS of the ASC,  has just appeared on ebay with an asking price of £700, which is so far outside my price range as to be risible.

Thank you Alan, I'm about half way through the online version right now and listened to a Matt Dixon podcast from last August about the "gardeners" on way home from work. Always amazes me how many new avenues of knowledge a study of the Great War provokes. 

Thanks again

Jim