Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Books on Palestine

Sapper Will

I think Palestine 1917 will be my first choice because Wilson's unit (Gloucestershire Yeomanry) served alongside the lads I'm researching, The Warwickshire Yeomanry. I'm currently trying to track down a reasonably-priced copy of Preston's The Desert Mounted Corps. Also there's a couple volumes on the Warwicks in the Great War which I'm trying to locate. These seem to be quite rare, however.

A reasonable and affordable account of the Palestine campaign is "THE LAST CRUSADE: The Palestine Campaign in the First World War" by Anthony Bruce (Published by John Murray ISBN 0-7195-6505-7. It retails at under £10 and gives a good overall view that covers from the Defence of the Suez Canal, through the advance across Sinai and ends at Aleppo in 1918.

The Warwickshire Yeomanry were involved in the action at Oghratina/Qatiya (or Katia) in April 1916. Vol I of The Official History by MacMunn and Falls dedicates eight pages to this action.

The warwickshire yeomanry were also in action at Huj in 1917 and this is covered in Vol II (I) of the Official history.

Both actions are also covered in AP Wavell's THE PALESTINE CAMPAIGNS

All of these are good reads.

Nick

Guest steveb21

Mate,

There are the Unit Histories of all twelve Light Horse Regt's involed in this area.

Also Unit histories of the NZ Bde and unit histories of there Regts.

A large number of books by soldiers from the NZMR, ALH and Camel Corps are all around for the looking and I have most of these which are far to many to name.

Other books deal with the area and leaders like those by Wavell and Savage while others coming out are on the peoples of Egypt inter action with the Army during that time by Brugger.

S.B

'Engaged in War' by Stanley Goodland includes some of his letters written from the Palestine front; I believe that an unofficial account of his battalion's activities (1/5th Somerset Light Infantry), written in conjunction with a fellow former officer, has recently been re-published by the Naval and Military Press.