Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Filipinos in the American Expeditionary Forces in Italy

Lakefan

I'm doing research trying to determine if there were any Filipino soldiers enlisted in the AEF that fought in Italy.

I know the Philippine National Guard committed soldiers to the AEF but the PNG did not see any action. There were, however, Filipinos who enlisted in the AEF and fought in France.

I'd like to know if any fought in Italy, specifically.

Thanks!

Thanks, Terry. This is helpful. I suppose it's possible that there were Filipinos fighting in the 332nd Infantry Regiment. But I'd really like to know for sure, if at all possible.

Appreciate your help!

A while ago I tried to find out more about soldiers from Hawaii who died in combat during the war. I had a similar problem as you, namely the Hawaiian National Guard didn't serve outside the islands, so anyone from Hawaii who died in combat did so either as part of a foreign military or US mainland regiment. In the end, I used the names on the war memorial in Hawaii combined with published scholarship and my own detective skills along with help from forum members here. Your task may be more difficult because you are after people who served, not just who died, and only the dead tend to be memorialised.

Newspapers from the war were very useful as they liked to write about "local boys" who had enlisted, died, been wounded, etc.

knittinganddeath -

It does sound like we have similar situations. Although, I don't actually need specific names. I'd just like to confirm if any Filipino soldiers did fight in Italy. The group mentioned by Terry sounds promising. Appreciate the idea to search out local papers. I haven't done that but will.

Thank you!

Mate,

I have some soldiers who served in the AIF who show there NOKs from the Filipines or served in the Army there.

But I have to wonder how many native Filipinos would have served?

The Islands had not long been taken from the Spainish and there was a civil rebelion still going on or had not long finished

KENNEDY    John    902    Pte    01 LHR    4R Tos (RHQ?) 8-15 (NP) (G) to hosp (bronchitis & influ) 1-16 rtn 3-16 to Dvr 1 sect/2 DAC 3-16 att 4 FAB 6-16 to hosp (malaria) 8-16 rtn 9-16 to hosp (malaria) 9-16 rtn 4-17 revert to Gnr 15Bty/5 FAB 5-17 to hosp (malaria) 10-17 F&B RTA MU bronchitis disch 23-7-18    N/R    Station hand    27    Wellington NSW    2-3-15    RTA 15-4-18    Cavite Philippines (USA) 

Sorry not in Italy but passed that way

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Thanks for this, stevebecker. Appreciate the information. Yes, it's a bit convoluted. I did find evidence of a Tomas Mateo Claudio, who died at the Battle of Chateau-Theirry in June 1918. He was supposedly the first Filipino casualty of the war, followed by around 50 or more Filipino deaths until the war ended. I think some of the Filipinos who served came via Hawaii where they were working on sugar plantations. Just not sure about all of them.

Thanks! 

Mate,

I spent some time as an instructor in the Philipines during the eighties, attach to there Army and stayed in the US base at Clarke and had many a good time in Bagio (spelling escapes me at presant.)

I remember the time as the President and his wife was kicked out and the civil joy as all went crazy.

S.B

Mate,

Here the anothers

FREE    Roscoe Conkling    356    Pte    10 LHR    B Sqn B Troop to L/Cpl 8-15 evac to Imfarta hosp Malta (dysentry) 9-15 (G) rtn 12-15 to Sgt B Troop? 1-16 to hosp (insomnia) 11-16 to 3 LHTR 3-17 rtn 12-17 to SSM B Sqn (from ricketts) 2-18 WIA 12-5-18 L/leg reported kicked by horse in horse lines behind the Auja rtn 7-18 to hosp (nervis debility) 7-18 shown mental case 9-18 WIA 25-10-18 (cut wrists suicide attempt) to Royal Victorian hosp Netley UK 1-19 to Lord Derby War Hosp (mental) Warrington UK 1-19 RTA MU melancholia (shows US Cavalry 6 years disch 1909 confirmed DCo/32nd Michigan Regt US - Spanish War Volunteers 1898 Philippines disch Feb 1909) born 1976    N/R    Journalist    35    Perth WA    4-12-14    disch UK 25-3-19    Battle Creek Michigan USA

REIDY    Peter    187    Pte    15Bn    ACo to L/Cpl MG Sect 7-15 (G) to A/CQMS KCo/CTC 3-16 to T/CSM 7-16 att No1 CTC depot to KCo/CTC 8-17 revert Pte 12-17 to 17Co/4Bn ICC 2-18 to L/Cpl 4-18 revert Pte 5-18 to ACFA 7-18 to 5 LHFA 7-18 relist AN&MEF (2043) Att the Lands and Survey Dept Rabaul 3-21 to Special Duties 4-21 (3 months AFA CMF) (US Army occupation Troops in Philippines) AKA Peter James Reidy    AFA     Miner    27    Sandstone WA    28-9-14 22-3-21    RTA 30-8-18    Woodlark Island New Guinea

S.B