Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Roosevelt's "kill"?

PFF

On July 11, 1918 Lt. Quentin Roosevelt of the 95th Aero Squadron is reported to have shot down a German Aircraft 20 kilometers within German-held territory before his death on 14 July 1918. Any allied or German aircraft lost this day?

Lt Q Roosevelt was credited with a victory on 10 July 1918 after he became separated from his formation of the 95th Aero Squadron near Chateau Thierry. After sighting another formation of aeroplanes he tagged on behind, only to realise after a few minutes that that the aircraft were German. He fired a long burst into the nearest machine (identified as a Fokker in Hudson's Hostile Skies) and then raced for home. Looking back, he saw the enemy aircraft explode in flames.

It's difficult to imagine the pilot of an aeroplane that has exploded escaping unscathed, so I looked at the German fighter casualties listed in The Jasta War Chronology and saw that Ltn August Hartmann of Jasta 30 was lightly wounded, as was Ltn Wilhelm Oberstadt of Jasta 56. However, Jasta 30 was operating in the 6. Armee sector, while Jasta 56 flew over the 4. Armee part of the line; both 4. and 6. Armee were at the Flanders end of the Front, so an aircraft from one of them is unlikely to have been encountered near Chateau Thierry.

Of course, despite the 'Fokker' identification, Lt Roosevelt may have met a formation of enemy two seaters, though it's hard to imagine that none of the observers saw him. FA 255(A)s lost a two seater crew on 10 July; Ltn d R Norbert Führer (O) and Vfw Jonathan Hägele (P) were both killed at Bastieux-Châtillon. If that's near the US sector, they may be the men in Roosevelt's victory.

In summary, I don't know who Lt Roosevelt encountered.

You asked about aircraft losses on 10 July. The AFC lost a Camel, the RAF lost two Bristol F2bs, a DH 4, and two Camels. I don't think that the French lost aircraft in combat that day, but the USAS lost six Bréguet XIVB2 of the 96th Aero Squadron that landed behind German lines after becoming lost on a bombing raid.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth