Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Batterie 47.83 (Pilckem)

Tom Oliviers

Hello, 

Does anyone know the German name of this battery and which units it manned? 
Found the information of this bunker in a report of 1919 (thanks to Alain van Geeteruyen)

I dont know if the bunker survives today. It stood near the road from Bixschoote to Pilckem and was called by the allies "battery 47.83". This battery with such interesting bunker must have a name!

Dont mind the 2D guns, they are just for showing purpuses (hell i dont even know they are ww1 :D, i drew them a very long time ago and still use them for displaying the function of the room purposes)

000.png

001.png

002.png

Edited by Tom Oliviers

• 1 year later...
On 03/02/2022 at 10:43, Tom Oliviers said:

Hello, 

Does anyone know the German name of this battery and which units it manned? 
Found the information of this bunker in a report of 1919 (thanks to Alain van Geeteruyen)

I dont know if the bunker survives today. It stood near the road from Bixschoote to Pilckem and was called by the allies "battery 47.83". This battery with such interesting bunker must have a name!

Dont mind the 2D guns, they are just for showing purpuses (hell i dont even know they are ww1 :D, i drew them a very long time ago and still use them for displaying the function of the room purposes)

000.png

001.png

002.png

Hi Tom

Don't know if you are still looking for information but I stumbled on to your topic (I live in Bikschote).

I think you are looking for the Ziegler bunker. It still exists.

http://www.wo1.be/nl/geschiedenis/gastbijdragen/sites-monumenten-begraafplaatsen-versterkingen-patrimonium/de-ziegler-bunker-boezings-paradepaard

More info on this link.

Greetings

Jasmine

Hello,

French and Belgian trench maps give these coordinates to all enemy batteries. The first number (47) refers to the longitude, the second number (83) to the latitude. However, these coordinates return every so many kilometres. In this case, the number could be just north of Woumen, as well as somewhere near Chaume Farm southwest of Kortekeer (as far as I can guesstimate by comparing some Belgian/French maps).

If @Tom Oliviers could repost the attachments, I might say something more.

Jan

4 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

French and Belgian trench maps give these coordinates to all enemy batteries. The first number (47) refers to the longitude, the second number (83) to the latitude. However, these coordinates return every so many kilometres. In this case, the number could be just north of Woumen, as well as somewhere near Chaume Farm southwest of Kortekeer (as far as I can guesstimate by comparing some Belgian/French maps).

If @Tom Oliviers could repost the attachments, I might say something more.

Jan

It seems I was really close with my guesstimate: it's WWI German Bunker Lobeek along the Pilkemstraat according to google maps.

On the website of Onroerend Erfgoed: https://inventaris.onroerenderfgoed.be/erfgoedobjecten/213403

Perhaps @Aurel Sercu knows something more?

Jan

Edited by AOK4

With a map reference of 47.83 it is certainly not the one on the inventaris above, this reference puts it into the waterway, the Lobeek. The existing bunker is at 40.45.

There are very many references 47.83, every 500 yards, or 400 metres. (one in each a,b,c,d square) The map below shows these references with an inked X.

Nor is it the (wrongly named) Ziegler bunker, map reference 2.4 and not an artillery post. (Nice to see the information on this in the wo1.be reference above, all taken from my book Pill Boxes on the Western Front, an acknowledgement would have been appreciated).

There doesn't seem to be any other structures with a map reference 47.83 along this road, perhaps Tom could re-post and/or give some more information and where he found the reference 47.83. 

PS the blue circle is the existing bunker on the inventaris quoted, the x's are all 47.83

PPS the bunker "Lobeek" on google maps is at reference 8.8, and has no resemblance to that illustrated by Tom

Peter

lob.jpg

Edited by mebu
ps

@mebu the coordinates in the original post are French, not British! They are completely different to the British grid system.

I have looked at French and Belgian maps to come to my conclusion, but one would need a Belgian/French map for the actual area to be 100% certain.

Jan you may well be right, however Tom say it was named "battery 43.87" not "batterie 43.87". 

I cannot recall a double-chambered artillery bunker, as described in Tom's sketch, along that road.

Tom says he has a report from 1919. Would be useful.

Peter

Just now, mebu said:

Jan you may well be right, however Tom say it was named "battery 43.87" not "batterie 43.87". 

I cannot recall a double-chambered artillery bunker, as described in Tom's sketch, along that road.

Tom says he has a report from 1919. Would be useful.

Peter

Peter,

I'm quite sure about my point, the report from 1919 should also be a Belgian report (using the Belgian/French coordinates). Although I agree that the bunker I refer to seems to have only one room.

However, we would be certain if Tom would make things clear.

Jan

Yes, I know, I am late. Apologies ...

Could this be about the bunker a mile or 3 from my place, and the pics of which I name, in my PC archives, "Bikschote Pilkemstraat Brissein" ?

I see that I have more than a dozen pics of it. All taken 2007, 2010, 2012 and 2016.

And I happened to bike by there a couple of times in the past weeks. Including yesterday ..

If interested in a pic or two or three here, let me know. Or contact me by e-mail.

Sorry I'm in a hurry. (Again. Actually, always ...)

Aurel

• 6 months later...

hello,

position 47.83 on map

A1.jpg

French report after their attack on 31 july 1917, preceded by heavy shelling

Cnock

BATT. 4783 a.jpg

Pic 2

Sorry I spolt the back wall with my selfie. But it was only to show the height. (I am 1.70 meter) And on 24 June this year I did have two legs !)

Aurel

Bikschote Bunker Pilkemstraat Brissein 24-06-2023 (6).JPG

One more thing ... I guess the name "Erissem" in Cnocks posting is the same as the name I mentioned, "Brissein" (though I don't remember where I got that name (or spelling) from.

Aurel