Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brig. Gen. Vandeleur

curranl

Hello All,

Brig. Gen. Vandeleur commanded 29th Brigade of 10th (Irish) Division and originally hailed from Kilrush, Co. Clare, where his family (who were the local landlords) had something of a reputation for brutality.

The Brigadier seems to have upheld the family tradition. I have a copy of the diary of an officer of the 6th Royal Irish Rifles who describes a route march the brigade were on from Salonica to the Struma valley:

" As we continued our march the next day (June 6th)[1916] the temperature must have climbed well up into the 80s and here is how I described it in my diary at the time "A bloody march, hot as hell, a fearful time getting men along. 27 of ours fell out, 60 of the Leinsters, 80 of the Connaught Rangers, 119 of the Hampshires. It was said that the brigadier attacked some of the Rangers wth his riding whip. One of them died on the roadside. They called it 'Murder'. If ever I get the chance, said their Colonel, I will make him pay for this"".

This implies that the man was a Connaught Ranger. A sergeant Francis William Corry died in Salonica on 5/6/1916, but in "Orange, Green and Khaki" , Tom Johnstone says the man was from 10th Hampshires. Can someone with the SDGW database check for a man from that battalion who died on that day?

And does anyone have any more info on Vandeleur?

Regards,

Liam.

There were 2 Lt. Cols of this name in World War II Arnhem campaign of September 1944 (Giles and J.O.E)-very distinguished if eccentric service (J.O.E)-see Cornelius Ryan's "A Bridge Too far"

Any relation? :)

The name is typical Flemish (or eventually Dutch). Is it possible that he is a descendant of immigrant landlords?

Erwin

Hello PFF and Erwin,

Yes and yes are the answers!

PFF,

They are some relation, not quite sure what though. One led the Irish Guards at Arnhem. In the film, he is played by Michael Caine.

Irwin,

The family were indeed originally Dutch. I think they arrived in this area in the 1700's, when there was considerable trade between the two countries.

Regards,

Liam.

Tom,

Any mention of a man from that battalion on the 6th June, 1916?

Regards and thanks,

Liam.

No Liam - nothing there either.

Tom

Brigadier - General Robert Seymour Vandeleur. CB 1919, CMG 1915. 2nd son of Capt Crofton Toler Vandeleur, late 7th Dragoon Guards. Born 1869. Married 1900, Hester, daughter of Maj - Gen G de la Poer Beresford. Nile Exped. 1898, NW Frontier , India 1908. Lt Col (Brevet Colonel) 1917) Seaforth Highlanders 1908. Commanded a brigade 1915. Colonel 1918, Officer ic of a record office 1922. Retired pay 1922, with honorary rank of Brigadier- General.

Terry Reeves

There were 2 Lt. Cols of this name in World War II Arnhem campaign of September 1944 (Giles and J.O.E)-very distinguished if eccentric service (J.O.E)-see Cornelius Ryan's "A Bridge Too far"

Any relation? :)

Lieutenant-Colonel J.O.E. Vandeleur of 2nd Irish Guards and Lieutenant-Colonel Giles Vandeleur of 3rd Irish Guards. J.O.E. Vandeleur's unit was armoured whilst Giles Vandeleur's fought as infantry, both as part of Guards Armoured Division. IIRC the two Vandeleur's were cousins, although I would not swear to it.

There was also Lt John Grayburn who won the VC at Arnhem. He would seem to have Vandeleur's in his ancestry somewhere. From his short biography:

"It had been intended for Jack to work in Hong Kong with his uncle, Sir "Tubby" Vandeleur Grayburn, then Chief General Manager of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation".

See here:

http://www.arnhemarchive.org/jack_grayburn.htm

Were these Vandeleur's descendents of Major General John Ormsby Vandeleur? Born 1763 and commanded a Brigade of the Light Division in the Peninsula and was also at Waterloo.

He died 1st November 1849.

Roger.