Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge ID?

Trav

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

This photo was taken circa 1910 (or sometime before), a distant family member (Edward Jordan 1873-1962). 

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited 3.jpg

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited 2.jpg

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited.jpg

• Admin

Army Ordnance Corps. 

1 hour ago, Trav said:

...This photo was taken circa 1910 (or sometime before)...

The photo must date AFTER 1912 as he is wearing the open-collar version of the Service Dress jacket that was only introduced in that year.

and the medal ribbons?

QSA and KSA perhaps?

Simon

As an officer he was with the Army Ordnance Department.  The Army Ordnance Corps was other ranks. The AOD and the AOC were later combined as the RAOC.    Pete.

Thank you all for the input, that's very kind of you. QSA and KSA ribbons may well be correct, as I believe he served in South Africa... see the attached photo.

The photo originally posted above was inscribed "with my best wishes for the year 1911" so I'm not sure it could have been taken in 1912 or after, snip attached.

Edward Jordan, South Africa 1899-1902.jpg

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited 4.jpg

3 minutes ago, Trav said:

ribed "with my best wishes for the year 1911"

Looks like 1916? 

He went to France as a Captain in March 1917.

Edited by charlie962

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Looks like 1916? 

He went to France as a Captain in March 1917.

Good spot... you could well be right there.

2 hours ago, mancpal said:

and the medal ribbons?

QSA and KSA perhaps?

Simon

QSA yes, but the light colour first ribbon is deffo not a KSA, however I am at a loss what it is.

23 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

QSA yes, but the light colour first ribbon is deffo not a KSA, however I am at a loss what it is.

Can you have a KSA without a qsa? In the original photo the KSA is on the right as it should be.

There are stripes on the left hand medal ribbon but very faint. Could it be trick of light or ortho film?

In the trooper photo there is only one ribbon and it has stripes more easily visible. Was qsa Ribbon issued whilst still in SA?

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

QSA as a single medal - yes.  KSA - no, it always accompanied the QSA.

The first light colour ribbon I initially thought might be Victoria's 1897 Jubilee medal but the ribbon is too wide.

My next thought were 1903 Delhi Durbar, but that ribbon had two central red stripes, & I am unable to make any other colors in that ribbon.

Then I thought perhaps the Star of India, it had a light colour ribbon, & like Coronation & Jubilee medals was worn before campaign medal(s) in that pre war timeframe. However this Order was usually awarded to senior Officers.

Do you know if ancestor ever served pre war in India?

5 hours ago, Trav said:

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

This photo was taken circa 1910 (or sometime before), a distant family member (Edward Jordan 1873-1962). 

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited 3.jpg

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited 2.jpg

Can you show all of the photo so that we can see his rank badges.  He appears to have risen from the ranks.  He was already wearing the striped ribbon whilst still in South Africa in KD and slouch hat.  Whatever the other ribbon is it appears to have a precedence that’s nudged the other ribbon along.  There are set protocols for this that are worth considering when analysing what it might be.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Can you show all of the photo so that we can see his rank badges.

Sure, but I don't think there's anything visible.

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918.jpg

9 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Do you know if ancestor ever served pre war in India?

I'm afraid I don't, only that he served in South Africa 1899-1902 possibly.

1 hour ago, Trav said:

Sure, but I don't think there's anything visible.

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918.jpg

There probably is behind the card frame unless the photo is actually cut into an oval?  It should show his cuff rank.

17 hours ago, Trav said:

Thank you all for the input, that's very kind of you. QSA and KSA ribbons may well be correct, as I believe he served in South Africa... see the attached photo.

The photo originally posted above was inscribed "with my best wishes for the year 1911" so I'm not sure it could have been taken in 1912 or after, snip attached.

Edward Jordan, South Africa 1899-1902.jpg

Edward Jordan, WWI 1914-1918 edited 4.jpg

The medal ribbon looks to me to be the IndiaGSM(1895).     Pete.

Both of these seem to fit colouration wise.  From a date perspective the India Medal, perhaps for Waziristan 1901-1902 seems possible, in addition to the Indian GSM (1852-1895), but it could be either. 

01C214A6-2AEC-46F1-9BB8-216E6DB7BD8C.jpeg

43683A17-C307-46FB-A3CF-51EB0ECCCBAD.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Slight correction if I may to Post 3 [Charlie962].

The AOC was officially granted the Prefix Royal on the 27 November 1918.

The King unofficially informed the Director of Ordnance Services Maj Gen Sir Charles Matthew at a private dinner that as recognition for its excellent work during the war the Corps was to have the prefix Royal conferred upon it.

On the 25 November 1918 a Court Circular from the Court of St James by command of the King stated that the Officers serving with the AOD were to merge and amalgamate with AOC to form the [new] Army Ordnance Corps and it was also the Kings further will and pleasure to confer the prefix Royal on the Corps. Its precedence in the Army was to be immediately before the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.

Army Order 363/1918 was published the 27 November 1918 is the authority.

Regards

Peter