Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Temporary rank?

armourersergeant

I have been researching George Forestier-Walker who was involved in the Curragh incident as Pagets BGGS and later as Smith-Dorriens BGGS. In all the correspondance i have seen regarding him he has always been discribed as Brigadier-General Forestier-Walker(in these two positions) yet i have seen an 'article' from the London Gazette that states as of 11th April 1915 Colonel, temp brig-gen will be temp maj-Gen Forestier-Walker. Whilst i realise that this was not uncommon especially as the war went on for some officers to be say Capts. with temp rank of Lt-Col etc it seems a tad strange for a man who held two high rank important positions to be only a temporary Brigadier-General?

Comments anyone, or examples where they have seen a similar thing.

Also pleasssssssssssssssssssssse, has anyone got any idea why Johnny Gough and F-W did not see eye to eye try as i might i have been unable to find any reference to it. If anybody has read the more recent bio of johnny Gough it may have said in there i have been unable to get a copy to view.

Arm.

At a guess I would say there are two possibilities.

Either it relates to something between them during their time in Somaliland or

It relates to something between F-W and Hubert Gough over the Curragh Incident.

• 2 weeks later...

I though of the Curragh incident but having studied papers of this of a private nature i dont think this is the case also regarding Somiliand it is poss but i cant get any hard info.

Oh well i'll keep digging.

ta fro the thoughts.Arm.