Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flandernstellung

Tom Oliviers

Also started this topic on the other forum, but there is not that much interaction as i've hoped for.

The Flandernstellung, a big german defenseline acros the fields of Flanders, with some very nice bunkers remaining.

Here a double observationpost which can been found on private property (always ask permission, very friendly owners!)
Here the exact coords of this bunker:

50°58'55.1"N 2°58'52.7"E

1A1 2D BFA.png

Sketch from this bunker (not measured, just drawn on sight). The bunker consists of three rooms, two for direct observation and all three with periscope shaft through the roof. The bunker is build on the slope of a hill so it had a very good sight towards the village of Houthulst.

Edited by Tom Oliviers
layout and extra text

I dont know what is the bandwith here for all the pictures i want to share, i've tried BBcode directly from my Flickr-account where my archive is on (200+ Gb at the moment), but the BBcode doest seems to work. Is here an html function in the posts? some forums have it, i didnt found it here (yet).

For those interested in the pictures of this bunker, they can been found on my flickr-album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzzqbQ

regards

Just give me a yell when i'm over the bandwith of the server, when i start with pictures its infinite :p

Here some directly uploaded onto this forum

GOPR0828.jpg

GOPR0830.jpg

GOPR0831.jpg

GOPR0832.jpg

Inside views, for all pictures on full HD, just click the above link to the Flickr-album (everything there is on maximum resolution, not that i'm an impressive good photographer, but sometimes the details are important).

Special thanks to Johan Vanpee to show me the location of this bunker!

GOPR0812.jpg

GOPR0813.jpg

GOPR0814.jpg

GOPR0815.jpg

These are excellent and show how determined the Germans were in not giving up any of the captured ground.  It also points to a view that further advances were impossible and an negotiated truce was the only option left to the Germans to end the war without a crushing defeat.

Thanks for the showing us these images Tom

Best Regards

Pompey

The location of this bunker along the Flandernstellung. I learned (thanks to AOK 4), at some point in the war this line was divided into other lines, but i'm not there yet in my investigation, Its possible that this bunker was later a part of the Terrestriegel, but first the old line as mentioned on the maps of 1917. (all things at his time)

001.png

Interesting... I don't know my Flanders Lines that well but it looks like part of Flandern I Stellung to me which joined Flandern II Stellung west of Passchendaele.  Flandern I Stellung then went south between Zonnebeke and Broodseinde.  Somebody must have a decent map of the Flanders' lines.

On 29/01/2022 at 19:50, Gus1914 said:

Somebody must have a decent map of the Flanders' lines.

Jan Vancoillie's book on the Ypres Front is an excellent source of such maps and info.

Peter

PS Tom there are several others in the area, such as 2 close by at  Stampkot and s'Graveneik. All are  marked on the inventaris, with info on each one. 

Edited by mebu
PS

Yeah i have it on Kindle, great program for study books! I hope more Will come on kindle

• 2 weeks later...

Found a nice document on Bundesarchiv about the use of kriegsgefangenen for the Stellungsbau, in addition of that document are some maps, of which thisone give a great impression until where the Flandern-stellungen where build and connects to the Wotan-stellungen. Near Roubaix (Fr)

image.png.502a605b9652be49f6ab22e85ab46748.png

About the double observationbunker in s'graveneik, it was called Beobachtungsstand 19 (Beob 19) on the german maps (found on bundesarchiv online)

It seems there was a second one (Beob 21) nearby

The gefechtsstand where those observationbunkers rapported to stood (or stand?) north of Hooglede. (according to this map)

image.png.f74bbd15bb4ade0d7d488302dea527aa.png

Tom, good find with the map (it is actually at the spot marked in orange on the map below). It has a very good view over a large area to the south and west.

The location confirms your comment on the other thread, with it being just forward of the crest of the hill, apparent from the contour lines.

Sometimes on the Siegfriedstellung  they were also on the reverse slope, such as the picture below (Diana's Hill,) high enough to see over the hill but with the outline broken by the trees. Very difficult for the British/French to locate.

Peter

beob 19_LI.jpg

18.jpg

• 1 year later...

hello

Still working on the Flandern-I-Stellung and the most remaining bunkers still exists on French soil near Wervicq-Sud... The line starts west of Raversijde on the North-Sea and ends on the north of Wambrechies near Lille where it flows over in the "Flandern-Riegel"... this Flandern-Riegel connects Flandern-I to Wotan-I from the fort of Prémesques.

I'm uploading my study and pictures of remaining bunkers on my blog (in dutch)

https://frontratten.blogspot.com/p/flandern-i-stellung.html

image.png.ae0d0086f6fa06107a0e5be46eed9ef7.png

Location of Flandern-I

image.png.794744843713b75ba58f455ad9a633cf.png

Flandern I (northern part) and Wotan I (southern part), the gap i left open is the Flandern-Riegel

image.png.2cfe7787cfb616eed03accf84b8d5c5c.png

The Flandern-Riegel with a lot of remaining bunkers.

• 7 months later...

's Graveneik. German artillery observation post before the obs bunker was built.

Cnock

001.jpg