Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rededication Service

andrew pugh

Good Evening

I presented a case a for an unknown C S M of the Ox and Buck's Light Infantry what seems a lifetime ago. It was accepted by the JCCC. And the rededication service is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 23rd March 2022. He is C S M William Henry Bax of the 2nd Battalion Ox and Buck's Light Infantry who was killed on the 24/03/1918. He is buried in Delsaux Farm Cemetery, Northern France. 

Regards

Andy

21 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

I presented a case a for an unknown C S M of the Ox and Buck's Light Infantry what seems a lifetime ago. It was accepted by the JCCC. And the rededication service is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 23rd March 2022. He is C S M William Henry Bax of the 2nd Battalion Ox and Buck's Light Infantry who was killed on the 24/03/1918. He is buried in Delsaux Farm Cemetery, Northern France. 

Very well done. :thumbsup:

As a matter of interest - Did CWGC and/or JCCC make you aware of progress along the way or of this final stage?  Or did you somehow find out for yourself?

M

Hi M

Thank you for replying. In answer to your question, No they did not give updates, either of them. I had to chase the C W G C to get any information. That place has changed and not for the good. Once upon a time you could phone up the Commemorations department and ask for a update , but now you have to submit a request via an email and wait 20 days. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has evolved into a place of bureaucracy with to many people at the top management sucking up the money. Just like most of the big charities top heavy with management. And yet there is only one person working on these cases at the National Army Museum grossly underfunded, and this is the bottleneck in the process for these cases.  

But at least another unknown can be crossed of the missing list. Thank you for contacting me

Kind Regards

Andy  

19 minutes ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi M

Thank you for replying. In answer to your question, No they did not give updates, either of them. I had to chase the C W G C to get any information. That place has changed and not for the good. Once upon a time you could phone up the Commemorations department and ask for a update , but now you have to submit a request via an email and wait 20 days. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has evolved into a place of bureaucracy with to many people at the top management sucking up the money. Just like most of the big charities top heavy with management. And yet there is only one person working on these cases at the National Army Museum grossly underfunded, and this is the bottleneck in the process for these cases.  

But at least another unknown can be crossed of the missing list. Thank you for contacting me

Kind Regards

Andy  

Thanks for the info on this case Andy. As Jaykayu asked when did you present the case, just to get an idea of time from presentation to confirmation?

Richard

Hi Richard 

It took approximately 3 years from presentation to getting a final answerer. Some cases can be so clean cut that it could take less time. You present your evidence to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission who do their own checks, if the case has merit it is then forwarded to the NAM (National Army Museum) who once again complete their checks against my evidence. It finally ends up with the JCCC (MOD) who make the final decision on my/our case. I would say 2 to 3 years from start to finish. I better get a few more in because I am now in my 70s.

I have 2 more rededication services to be arranged hopefully this summer. So far all the cases I have presented all the men were killed on the 24/03/1918, pretty much in the same area.

Thank you for replying

Regards

Andy 

Hi Andrew

I see you posted that this was approved on 20 July 2020. Based on your estimate of 3 years for approval I make it that you presented your case to CWGC approximately July 2017. With the rededication taking place 23 March this year I calculate the total time to be 4 years 7 months. Useful to know

Cheers, J

I made enquiries with CWGC on a case I presented over 3 years ago and in fairness they relied quite quickly, stating that due to a lot of cases being presented during the 100th anniversary of the war and staff absences due to covid there is a backlog.

Richard

• 1 month later...

I have a question: but actually how many Commonwealth soldiers are buried without a name, and how lay still on the battlefields?

14 hours ago, deutscherinfanteriest said:

I have a question: but actually how many Commonwealth soldiers are buried without a name, and how lay still on the battlefields?

There are approximately 187,000 Commonwealth soldiers buried without a name, and 330,000 still missing in the battlefields .

J

Edited by jaykayu

On 27/01/2022 at 20:59, andrew pugh said:

Good Evening

Regards

Well Done Andy, it was good to meet you and Simon

Kind regards

John

BEFORE and AFTER

Well DSC03345.jpg.a4006ff27ed76370ba9a976e72b7ebdd.jpg

DSC03512.jpg.5d142af02a2e630aa5f05c0a2c52131d.jpg

DSC03570.jpg.ae5d60c9003907340aaa69b429294f26.jpg

Edited by Frajohn

50 minutes ago, Frajohn said:

Well Done Andy, it was good to meet you and Simon

Kind regards

John

BEFORE and AFTER

Well DSC03345.jpg.a4006ff27ed76370ba9a976e72b7ebdd.jpg

DSC03512.jpg.5d142af02a2e630aa5f05c0a2c52131d.jpg

DSC03570.jpg.ae5d60c9003907340aaa69b429294f26.jpg

DSC03345.jpg

Thanks for sharing these.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Andy. You are an outstanding researcher and your dedication has paid off yet again! I know you have other cases pending, how many in total now?  Just sorry I could not make this rededication with you but hopefully be there for Brunton Smith.