Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GW group photograph of medics and QARNNS nurses ?on board hospital ship

seaJane

Good afternoon all,

Has anyone any thoughts on where/when this photograph may have been taken? Asking for some former colleagues - all I can say for certain is no executive curl, so before Nov 18 1918.

I am 99% sure the Deputy Inspector(or Surgeon)-General is Sir James Porter, so that may indicate a Gallipoli location. On the other hand, the Staff Surgeon (2 1/2) looks, if my memory does not deceive me, like Montague L. B. Rodd, who was SMO aboard PLASSEY at Jutland (she may have changed station?).

Many thanks,

sJ

group pic.png

Edited by seaJane

I have found MLB Rodd in a group photo at RNH Haslar, Oct 1913.  Looks like the same man? However here is is a Fleet Surgeon, and in my original post he is a Staff Surgeon, so the picture I am querying must predate 1913.

The young ones might be Sick Berth Attendants - can't remember if there was a Boy rating for them - St John's / Red Cross cadets would be of a similar age?

MLB Rodd.jpg

Edited by seaJane

Later: some Gazette searching tells me that M.L.B. Rodd was promoted Staff Surgeon on 11 November 1899, so the picture must postdate that. He was promoted Fleet Surgeon on 11 November 1907, but Sir James was promoted from Deputy to Inspector-General on 10 October 1906, so the picture must predate that - in other words not Great War, and my apologies. I will lock the thread if I can, and if not, ask @Michelle Young to lock it for me.

(I can ask the former colleague to look in the Navy List for MLBR's postigs - there should only be two or three of them in an 8-year period, and it should be possible to work out which by a process of elimination.)

[Later: my colleague in the QARNNS archive tells me that the matron is wearing a QARNNS badge, so the picture must post-date whenever in 1902 Queen Alexandra agreed to become the Service's patron.]

22 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

His obituary

For information, Sir James's, not MLB Rodd's.

Edited by seaJane

SJ,

Those standing are sick berth attendants, they have the red cross badge on their right sleeves. There is another naval nurse at the very right of the photograph. The picture looks Iike the staff of a small Naval Hospital.

Regards,

Alf McM

I thought they probably were, Alf, but thanks for the confirmation.

On his return from S. Africa James Porter served at Haslar, Chatham and Gibraltar before being promoted Inspector-General, so I'm slightly inclined towards Gibraltar, or possibly a local hospital ship visit. MLBR's postings should provide the answer.

• seaJane changed the title to GW group photograph of medics and QARNNS nurses ?on board hospital ship

SJ,

Montague's postings from 1899 to 1909 as follows;-

DEVONPORT DOCKYARD

PHOEBE – 19/02/1901 to 30/06/1904

RINGAROOMA – 01/07/1901 TO 01/12/1904 {He was 'sent home' when Ringarooma was paid off}

ROYAL HOSPITAL, PLYMOUTH – 08/05/1905 to 08/05/1907

MARS - 18/06/1907 to 03/11/1909

Details taken from ADM/104/89 & ADM/104/90.

I have been unable to find a posting between 01/12/1904 and 08/05/1905.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Alf - so kind! Many thanks. 

sJ

SJ,

I can’t find Montague Rodd serving in any small RN Hospital or Sick Quarters. It seems that he is not the Staff Surgeon in the photograph. We do know that James Porter was in Gibraltar, and by checking the Navy Lists for 1905 and 1907 for the Royal Hospital, Gibraltar, plus ADM-1040-90 I get the following;-

Deputy Inspector General James Porter 01 March 1905, but didn't take charge until 16th May 1905, stayed until 5 Nov 1906

Staff Surgeon Cecil Howard ROCK 09 May 1905 until 9 Jul 1907

Surgeon Samuel CONNER 31 Aug 1905 until 30 Jul 1908

Nursing Sister Florence H. PORTER 01 Feb 1905 to 18 Mar 1906

Nursing Sister Elizabeth M. GRATTAN 01 Feb 1905 to 1907 at least

Nursing Sister Kathleen GLASSPOOLE 01 Apr 1906 to 1907 at least

Dispenser Thomas E.S. BOWERS esq.  12 Apr 1905 until 1907 at least

Chaplain, Reverend  William E.O.  STEVENS 31 Oct 1905 to until 1907 at least

There was a head Nursing Sister from July 1906, giving 3 nurses

By checking the dates it would seem that the photograph was taken between 31st October 1905 and July 1906.

Those in the front row should be all those mentioned above with the exception that one of the nursing sisters is Miss Grattan, and the other is either Miss Porter or Miss Glasspoole.

Of course an image of these mentioned above, apart from James Porter, could prove or disprove my assumptions.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

Well, this is Cecil Howard Rock, at Haslar as a new entry medical officer in May 1895. How inconvenient of him to grow a set in the next decade... if it is him in the group photo.

CH Rock 1895-05 May.jpg

2 hours ago, royalredcross said:

Florence Porter 

Thank you Norman! I wonder if she was any relation to Sir James.

Florence Henrietta Porter was born in Edinburgh on 11th February 1855. Her parents were William Henry Porter and Maria Palmer.

James Porter was born in Monymusk, Aberdeenshire on 5th December1851. His parents were James Porter and Margaret McPherson.

I think it's unlikely they were related.

Thanks Alf - much obliged to you.

13 hours ago, royalredcross said:

Sir Joseph Porter KCB

:lol:

On 31/01/2022 at 01:00, royalredcross said:

Perhaps related to Sir Joseph Porter KCB  ??

Sorry.

(Perhaps a sister, cousin or aunt?)

Also sorry.