Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Regiments at Spanbroekmolen 12th March 1915

kinjack

Hi all, 

I'm building a miniature diorama to remember my Great Granduncle who fought with the 3rd Battalion Worcesters from the outset until 1918 when he was medically discharged. It holds a lot of personal meaning to me because I'm also named William Henry Mansell after him. The diorama will focus on his actions on 12th March 1915 at Spanbroekmolen, there's more about him here if anyone's interested: http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/a_foreign_russian.php

I've made pretty good headway researching the British side for it, but I'd like to know what German regiments the British would have been facing in this sector to show equal respect to both sides and their sacrifice. 

I'm not really sure where to even begin trying to find German regiments and where/when they served, but if anyone can point me in the right direction (especially for Messines area in March 1915) that would be amazing!

I also wanted to ask for some help deciphering his discharge papers (attached below). I've got the vast majority of it down but it would be interesting to find out what the missing words mean, perhaps those familiar with the acronyms and word usage from the period can help. 

I know he had a metal plate put into his head (presumably he lost part of his skull) because my grandad would tell us stories of the sound it made when he knocked on it at family get togethers. 

Invaliding Disability: 

"GSW (gunshot wound presumably). Head, with frac. (fracture) of cranium, with depression." 

Cause of Disability:

Not sure of word??????

Medical Report:

Grade on discharge: PU?

Measles - March 1916 

"(D.......)" - April 1916 

GSW. Chest & Leg 1915

"C/S (concurrent/complains of symptoms?) vertigo & headache, eyesight failing & sleep disturbed. 

GSW 2 thigh - C/S pain after (.........)

GSW 2 chest - (.......) disability 

Then it looks like "Operation declined" perhaps?

Appreciate any help! Thanks, 

Will 

GBM_WO363-4_007301082_00647.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. 
This is what I see, @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr is good at deciphering doctors handwriting. Hopefully, he will agree with my translation. 
Debility 4/4/16

Pain after exercise. 

No disability.

Michelle 

5 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. 
This is what I see, @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr is good at deciphering doctors handwriting. Hopefully, he will agree with my translation. 
Debility 4/4/16

Pain after exercise. 

No disability.

Michelle 

Thanks for the super quick reply, Michelle. 

Those translations look spot on to me, I've never seen/heard the word debility used before - I suppose it's gone out of use. 

• Admin

I’ve just looked at the Official History and a couple  of books, but nothing about which German units were at Spanbroekmolen I’m afraid. Not sure if the War Diaries (currently free to download at the National Archives) would shine any light. 

46 minutes ago, kinjack said:

GBM_WO363-4_007301082_00647.jpg

Welcome to GWF.

Hope you didn't miss the DCM [Distinguished Conduct Medal] on this record [also on his MIC - which also notes his Silver War Badge roll]

Here are the London Gazette entries for his DCM https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29074/supplement/1704 and https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29117/supplement/3209

From the second LG here's the citation for all to see: For conspicuous gallantry on 7th November, 1914, at Ploegsteert. During; a very heavy attack by the enemy he went forward alone under a heavy fire and shot a number of Germans, thereby preventing any further advance by them in that direction

46 minutes ago, kinjack said:

I know he had a metal plate put into his head (presumably he lost part of his skull) because my grandad would tell us stories of the sound it made when he knocked on it at family get togethers. 

From Pension cards at WFA/Fold3

He was medically discharged 3.5.18 with a pension of 26/- pw, 4.5.18 to 19.5.18 [this represents a 100% disabilty] his pension changed over time- reducing to a 20% level for life though he got an additional award for his DCM.

Here's the reverse of the Pension Ledger Index Card showing some of the details [the main pensions Awards file will be long lost/deliberately destroyed - I checked his file does not appear amongst the very few retained ones, PIN 26, at the National Archive]

1545962641_MANSELLW9917.png.6123fbe6225efccfda5d9e64a1cae463.png

WFA/Fold3

Good luck with your research and modelling.

M

GSW 2 thigh - C/S pain after (.........)              GSW L [=left] thigh- C/S [maybe complaining of symptoms]

GSW 2 chest - (.......) disability                        GSW L [=left] chest. No disability

Oper [ation?] declined

The WDs of 7 Infantry Brigade, 3 Div HQ GS , 1 Wilts and 56 Field Co RE do not shed any light on the opposing German Units. Some maps in the January 1915 WD of 7 IB.

Brian

Hello,

It was Bavarian Infantry Regiment 9 that held the Spanbroekmolen sector on 12 March 1915.

Jan

On 23/01/2022 at 18:31, Matlock1418 said:

Welcome to GWF.

Hope you didn't miss the DCM [Distinguished Conduct Medal] on this record [also on his MIC - which also notes his Silver War Badge roll]

Here are the London Gazette entries for his DCM https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29074/supplement/1704 and https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29117/supplement/3209

From the second LG here's the citation for all to see: For conspicuous gallantry on 7th November, 1914, at Ploegsteert. During; a very heavy attack by the enemy he went forward alone under a heavy fire and shot a number of Germans, thereby preventing any further advance by them in that direction

From Pension cards at WFA/Fold3

He was medically discharged 3.5.18 with a pension of 26/- pw, 4.5.18 to 19.5.18 [this represents a 100% disabilty] his pension changed over time- reducing to a 20% level for life though he got an additional award for his DCM.

Here's the reverse of the Pension Ledger Index Card showing some of the details [the main pensions Awards file will be long lost/deliberately destroyed - I checked his file does not appear amongst the very few retained ones, PIN 26, at the National Archive]

1545962641_MANSELLW9917.png.6123fbe6225efccfda5d9e64a1cae463.png

WFA/Fold3

Good luck with your research and modelling.

M

Hi Matlock, 

Thanks for finding the back of that for me, was really useful because I hadn't realised he had a child in 1920 either which he must have had after the war! 

Very interesting that his degree of disablement reduced over time, presumably that means he was improving health wise although it took many years. Or perhaps the army just judged him to be improving. 

Thanks again. 

On 23/01/2022 at 19:08, AOK4 said:

Hello,

It was Bavarian Infantry Regiment 9 that held the Spanbroekmolen sector on 12 March 1915.

Jan

Jan, you're a life saver! 

Do you have a source that covers what the regiment were doing around that time (not sure if Bavarian troops kept war diaries?) or is it just something you know from prior research?