Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Hart Pte 2503600 Canadian Railway Corps

slick63

I came across this news article but I`m not sure if i have it in the right section here ?

The article is confusing and minimal, but it seems the chap was convalescing in 1919 due to TB, was reported as a deserter (which was later rescinded) He died later that year. Should he have a CWGC stone ? ....  LINK

Seems the paperwork was misplaced and they'd lost track of where he was.

His service record survives - https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=447167

Died of TB on 1 Aug 1919

image.png

It does like he was still serving until his death, allowing for the error over the desertion.

Craig

Not a non-com, he's already on CWGC: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/347356/w-hart/

The photo in the article makes it look like his grave is marked only by a simple wooden cross, thankfully there are better photos on Find-a-Grave showing the whole memorial: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/78313260/william-hart

It looks reasonably legible to me, but I'll flag it up with CWGC anyway.

You beat to it, looking at the photos on Find a Grave, i would also suggest to bring it to the attention of the CWGC.  

3 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

It looks reasonably legible to me, but I'll flag it up with CWGC anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but CWGC would not be interested in restoring/maintaining a private gravestone.  He already has a CWGC stone somewhere in St. Ives (Barnoon) Cemetery, doesn't he?

There is only one grave which is marked by a private memorial, so there is no commission headstone for this man. If the CWGC feel that a private memorial no longer provides adequate commemoration then they would look at installing their own headstone. That may or may not be the case here, but let's see what they say.

It’s on the CWGC on website, there is an appeal for next of kin to get in contact.  

so, it looks like the CWGC are looking in to the condition of this grave already 

The reply I just got from CWGC was as follows:

Thank you for your e-mail and I can confirm that the private memorial of Hart was last inspected in November of 2021 and, at that point, found to be within our standards.

I hope that this confirmation is helpful, but if there is anything else, please let me know.

Which is odd given that they are now looking for relatives with the aim of producing a new headstone, as mentioned above by Chesterboy. Maybe a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing?