The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hms Queen Mary

Guest fairytopia

The Queen Mary had a compliment of 1,000. The nearest I’ve seen to a crew photo for some ships is the crew lining the side, but too far away to see individuals. Try the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich www.nmm.ac.uk

hI there fairytopia,

You will find a couple of a crew groups, a officer group,individual photographs and ofcourse of HMS Queen Mary itself here.----->CLICK

There is a lot of information on a lot of naval ships to be found at the above link.

Liam

Sorry Liam, you beat me to it.

Rich.

• 14 years later...

I dont have any crew photos of HMS Queen Mary but I have had for many yrs this photo brooch of a 1WW period RN sailor who served on HMS Queen Mary, I have no idea whom he is or exactly when he served on Queen Mary, or if he was on board her at Jutland.

The oval portrait is approx 1" x 1 1\4"

Thought I would post for interest.....

Bryan

Queen Mary broach..JPG

Queen Mary broach.rev.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

When I responded to this topic on HMS Queen Mary crew losses I did not think I had a photo of any of her crew, but as it turns out I do have a group photo of her Chief Petty Officers, some were on her when she sank at Jutland.  Photo would have been taken sometime prior to Jutland.

Names as follows - 

Rear row standing, L to R - - CPO's Gibbs, Cantrell, Doyland, Trott, Watts, Maddox.

Front Row sitting, L to R  - - CPO's Harrison, Smith, Catt, Toat, Cummings.

CPO's Cantrell, Watts, Toat & Cummings were not on Queen Mary at Jutland & thus survived.

QueenMaryCPO ph JPG.JPG

Excellent, thank you. Can this photo be used on the project website please?

Sure, I dont see why not, but what is Project website pls?  & might you post link?

Edited by RNCVR

Thanks Penfold, did not know of it, an excellent site.

There is another photo you might post up of Bandmaster of HMS Black Prince, in the Jutland section, I can tak a closeup shot of his photo for you.

Thank you, yes please.

Queen Mary midshipmen 1913

Midshipmen Queen Mary.jpg

Very nice photo Hyacinth, do you have any names & know if they were they all lost on Queen Mary ?

Slightly older looking 'Snotties' than I'd expected, for the most part, would they have served an earlier tour on a smaller ship before being appointed to a Dreadnought?

I am afraid I have no other information other than that the photograph was taken in 1913.  

Agree Froggie, those Mids seem to be somewhat older than say 16 yrs, around that age a Naval cadet made Midshipman.  There are 4 Naval cadets in the rear rank standing who have not yet made Mid.

& one Assistant Clerk (Paymaster branch equivalent of Mid) in front row wearing the white band on his sleeves, now he looks somewhat younger than the others in the group.

I had a look in the July 1914 Navy list (only wartime issue I have) & HMS Dreadnought is shown with a full complement of Mids -12 + 1 Clerk + 1 Ass't Clerk.  Also checked Battle Cruiser Queen Mary & she also had the full complement - 12 Mids, + 3 RNR Mids, + 2 Ass't Clerks.

HMS Thunderer also carried aboard  13 Mids, + 4 RNR Mids, + 2 Ass't Clerks.

They might have rec'd an initial appointment to a Cruiser or older pre Dreadnought B\S but am pretty certain they could just as well be appointed to Dreadnought B\S as well.  A lot depended upon their College performance for their first appointment, if they had excellent marks & stood high in their class & gained x number of months seniority.  Seniority was everything in the pre 1WW RN!

Also Captains requested certain Mids to be appointed to their ships for reasons known to them.  having an "Honourable" so & so on board (as did Queen Mary, who also boasted a "Right Honourable Viscount"!)) probably added some prestige to the ship, & of course it could be a Captain doing a favour for a family.  Patronage also meant a lot in those pre war days.

Bryan

2 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I am afraid I have no other information other than that the photograph was taken in 1913.  

Thanks Hyacinth, cannot help wondering how many of them survived the coming war!!

Edited by RNCVR

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

There are 4 Naval cadets in the rear rank standing who have not yet made Mid.

I believe these are Midshipmen RNR with the blue RNR coloured patch - as indictaed by the 1913-14 Navy Lists.

Yes Horatio, you could well be quite right, I had thought of that after I posted, It certainly is a possibility & those 4 Mids do look somewhat older which would fit with RNR. I checked my circa 1915 booklet & RNR cadets had blue twist on blue\black background & RNVR cadets had red twist on same b\g.

Note also the distinctive RNR & RNV buttons.

mids 002.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

In the image of the 'midshipmen there is a surprising amount of portable equipment left on the deck.  Could it be that the ship was still fitting out on the Tyne ?

On 07/03/2020 at 10:03, FROGSMILE said:

Slightly older looking 'Snotties' than I'd expected, for the most part, would they have served an earlier tour on a smaller ship before being appointed to a Dreadnought?

I've read* that the term that left Dartmouth for war all went in to big ships, I think the thinking was they won't be given a bad steer, or abused in any way, in a big ship with the full complement of officers. 

* IIRC Jackie Broome of PQ17 and 'make a signal' was in that term, along with T. Back, the boy who lost the postal order in the Archer-Shee case. 

Here are photographs currently found for those that were on HMS Queen Mary at the Battle of Jutland. If anyone knows of others please let me know.

https://battleofjutlandcrewlists.miraheze.org/wiki/HMS_Queen_Mary_Crew_List_(Photographs)