Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal

topdeer

I am just finishing off some family research that I have been doing, But there is just one member who served in WW1 is missing something that

my be he was awarded or not. I have his Service records but his medal index card is missing his name is Harry Frederick Reginald Dore Rank:

Sapper, Regiment: Hampshire Regiment/Territorial Force Attestation, Nr 829, 5185264. 

21 minutes ago, topdeer said:

I am just finishing off some family research that I have been doing, But there is just one member who served in WW1 is missing something that

my be he was awarded or not. I have his Service records but his medal index card is missing his name is Harry Frederick Reginald Dore Rank:

Sapper, Regiment: Hampshire Regiment/Territorial Force Attestation, Nr 829, 5185264. 

Did he serve overseas ?

Craig

I have just looked at his Service record a bit closer and I think he just served at home. So I think that means he got no medals.

15 minutes ago, topdeer said:

I have just looked at his Service record a bit closer and I think he just served at home. So I think that means he got no medals.

I have just read through his service papers and I would agree with you that he did not serve overseas.

2 hours ago, topdeer said:

Regiment: Hampshire Regiment/Territorial Force Attestation, Nr 829, 5185264. 

He was with the Hampshire (Fortress) Royal Engineers TF rather than the Hampshire Regiment.

His 1917 new number should be 518204 rather than 5185264?

1 hour ago, topdeer said:

Can you tell me want he actually did at home?

There is a reference of him being a Telephonist/Clerk...

Some of the sub-units he served with...

No.3 (Gosport) Fortress Company RE...probably based in one of the forts - Brockhurst/Elson/Rowner/Grange/Monkton or Gomer (No.2 Battery Stokes Bay).

2/5th Hants (EL) Company RE...EL being Electric Light.

1st and 3rd Bridging Battalion RE based at Christchurch (was Hampshire in those days but now in Dorset. 

I see he was at Cliff End summer camp in 1912.

My GGF was at the same camp in 1912 with the Hants RGA and there is a newspaper report of a rifle shooting competition that took place between the Hants RGA and Hants Fortress RE, in which my GGF took part.  

Edited by Alan24

You have been helpful to, I need that cup of coffee with this family research just getting bigger.