Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible errors in Naming inscribed on WW1 War Memorials

2li

Hello has any member come across wrong or mistakes with regards to soldiers initials and names on war memorials

I ask, has I have a soldier commemorated on my Memorial by the name off

J. JARRETT PTE. K.S.L.I., but no soldier with that name as any connection to the parish or even the town the only J. JARRETT K.S.L.I., found on the Soldiers died and other documents is that of

James Jarrett, Private, (SR/7414), 1st Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry, born St. Mary’s Parish, Plymouth, in the third quarter of 1872, the Son of Stephen Jarrett, of Abersychan near Pontypool, Monmouthshire, Wales, killed in action on the 26th April 1915., aged 42, commemorated on the YPRES MENIN GATE

There is however another soldier by the name of WALTER JARRETT PTE. 16936, K.S.L.I., who came from the parish and died 29 June 1919, Age 44,.resident 5 School terrace Ditherington Shrewsbury which is in the local parish. He is buried in a Military grave located in Shrewsbury general cemetery. unfortunately Walter is not commemorated anywhere in the town, could it be an error with the first initial of his name, or very unlikely, the names are inscribed in stone ?, or do I have the right man JAMES JARRETT K.S.L.I.,

Conundrum  

3 minutes ago, 2li said:

J. JARRETT PTE. K.S.L.I., but no soldier with that name as any connection to the parish or even the town the only J. JARRETT K.S.L.I., found on the Soldiers died and other documents is that of

Certainly, mistakes did happen, but equally so did it happen that relatives put names forward for men who otherwise had no connection with the place in question.

Craig

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Certainly, mistakes did happen, but equally so did it happen that relatives put names forward for men who otherwise had no connection with the place in question.

Craig

Craig Good point to ponder on of the 72 names this one is by fare the hardest to work out the only snipet published in the local newspaper for J. Jarrett was the following 

Son of Stephen Jarrett, of Abersychan near Pontypool, Monmouthshire, ?

Philip

My Grandfather is recorded as 'Harry' - not Richard Henry. 

It's the name everyone used when he was alive.

In my village church, there is a memorial for the Great War with 10 names & regiments.  

Two of the names, have the wrong initials and one of those has the wrong regiment as well.  

one of those two is on a different memorial which the initials are correct, also in a roll of honour book with the initials and regiment is correct.  

there is another memorial I know, which has incorrect initials and names, but it’s to complicated to explain here

666F58F5-BD09-4122-B476-314FC9C49548.jpeg

21 hours ago, Kath said:

My Grandfather is recorded as 'Harry' - not Richard Henry. 

It's the name everyone used when he was alive.

point taken

9 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

In my village church, there is a memorial for the Great War with 10 names & regiments.  

Two of the names, have the wrong initials and one of those has the wrong regiment as well.  

one of those two is on a different memorial which the initials are correct, also in a roll of honour book with the initials and regiment is correct.  

there is another memorial I know, which has incorrect initials and names, but it’s to complicated to explain here

666F58F5-BD09-4122-B476-314FC9C49548.jpeg

Another point to which I will take on board

thanks