Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patt. 1907 Bayonet blades: Dull or Sharp

JMB1943

Thanks and great info. I find that many Ross bayonets which are still around have been reprinted and sharpened.  I assume that much of this may have also been following the switch the CEF made in 1916 to the Lee-Enfields; ar which time I suspect that the Ross bayonets would have likely been retained as an ideal trench fighting knife and modified for that purpose.

Can anyone tell me when the Newfoundland Regiment switch away from the Ross rifle and to the SMLE?  I read that they also started off buying the Ross from the Canadian government. 

Thanks

Jim

I would be wary of the so called trench knives out there, there are a few which are known to be ww2 era factory conversions to a hunting knife.

The rest are likely all home made types. Keeping a heavy Ross bayonet in addition to the 07 would be awkward to say the least if even allowed.

I can't help you on the latter, being part of the British army at the time I would be surprized to hear they had Ross rifles at all. But if there are photographs

with them so be it .  Legitamate Ross repointing to the 07 style tip was done to Ross bayonets in the Royal Navies service and those constitute a legitimate

service modification.

• 1 year later...
On 11/10/2022 at 03:48, Gspragge said:

Canadian troops were ordered to sharpen thier bayonets prior to leaving for thr front along with being issued ammunition. There is also the matter of

removing the loops from Ross bayonet scabbards for the 08 web frog. This was commonly done as this image shows, I am hoping for a higher resolution 

copy of this for more detail. ( when or if these scabbards got to the RN later they would have had the top  piece replaced with the 1903 pattern with a stud, those with

loops were used as is. )  How these examples avoided getting into the hands of the RN and being altered to the 07 pattern point is a mystery and that they still turn 

up in the UK is surprizing.  

14 Btn sharpening.png

CEF Sharpened examples A side .jpg

1:15 sharp.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.00.54 PM.png

I think the Ross is slightly different, just because it was originally made with quite a “blunt” shape originally. and would have not been suitable for thrusting or much else a bayonet is supposed to be used for

kind regards

g

On 19/01/2022 at 04:37, JMB1943 said:

I have nine Patt. 1907 bayonets that were manufactured in a time-frame to have seen active service in the Great War; all of the British makers, plus Remington, are included.

All of them have a sharp point, but would be challenged to slice a loaf of newly-baked bread!!!!!

I was happy with this, because the bayonet is a stabbing weapon, not a cutting one (I presumed) similar to the last iteration of the British cavalry sword (the Patt. 1908).

Happy that is, until I saw reference on here to the War Diary of an infantry battalion which describes swords and bayonets being surrendered to the armourer for sharpening upon mobilization in Aug. 1914.

Do I conclude that,

1. NONE of my bayonets were ever mobilized?

2.  SOME were mobilized, but were ground back to a dull edge post-demobilization?

Just call me "Confused in the trenches!"

Regards,

JMB

I am cataloguing my last 75 or so 1907s whilst I am doing that, I will add an extra table and just advise you the ones they have been sharpened and a overall percentage 

kind regards

g