Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Search Manchester Regiment

leisaf

Hi everyone.

I’m not sure how successful this will be, but hope someone can help me.

My Grandfather Private Frank William Hougham (51185) fought in WW1 as a member of the 17th Manchester regiment and was a POW.
I recently found out from my dad that his medals were lost when family member arranged a house clearance following his death in ‘76. They did not realise the medals were in a drawer in the house. Anyway I would love to trace his two war medals for my dad.

Does anyone here have any information about these medals, or even have them in a collection themselves?
Please see the link below for a few of my dad’s memories of his father (who incidentally died in ‘76 and not the 60s as the article says)

Private Frank William Hougham.png

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. You can try a post on the British Medal Forum, setting up an alert on eBay, and also there’s something on Ancestry where you can put an alert by a medal index card I believe. There’s lots of posts with similar enquiries in the medals section, might be worth looking for more advice, other than what I have offered.

Michelle 

6 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. You can try a post on the British Medal Forum, setting up an alert on eBay, and also there’s something on Ancestry where you can put an alert by a medal index card I believe. There’s lots of posts with similar enquiries in the medals section, might be worth looking for more advice, other than what I have offered.

Michelle 

Thank you Michelle.  I've set up an ebay alert already but will definitely look into the British Medal Forum and the Ancestry tips, thank you

4 hours ago, leisaf said:

Does anyone here have any information about these medals

He enlisted quite late on. so confirmed as BWM and VM only.

He has a POW file that adds a few dates and details to the story:

- C company, 17th Manchesters, captured at Roupy 22/3/18, repatriated to Dover 27/11/18

5 minutes ago, Neil 2242 said:

He enlisted quite late on. so confirmed as BWM and VM only.

- C company, 17th Manchesters, captured at Roupy 22/3/18, repatriated to Dover 27/11/18

Thank you Neil. That is great. I knew he had just two medals as I had found his medal card but didn’t know that he was C company or the dates or location of his capture 

Just now, leisaf said:

Thank you Neil. That is great. I knew he had just two medals as I had found his medal card but didn’t know that he was C company or the dates or location of his capture 

Do you have a date he enlisted please? 

11 minutes ago, Neil 2242 said:

Newspaper notice from June 1918, implying that he joined up sometime in 1917.

Others can maybe narrow it down for you.

hougham.jpg

That’s brilliant, thank you. Absolutely fascinating learning these things about him 

• Admin

1 hour ago, leisaf said:

That’s brilliant, thank you. Absolutely fascinating learning these things about him 

There are limited records for Pte Hougham on Find My Past,(and presumably Ancestry) including a letter from his wife asking as to his whereabouts in April 1918.

These show he was a Derby Scheme recruit attesting in December 1915 unfortunately his mobilisation date to the Training Reserve is illegible although his wife states he transferred from the 19th Manchesters '2 or 3 months ago' (probably when that Battalion was disbanded in February 1918.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/manchester-regiment/

Looking at other service records of men from Kent (or Kentish men if you prefer) they were called up for service in March 1917 and transferred to the 19th Manchesters at the Infantry Base Depot at Etaples on 24th June 1917 - joining the Battalion in the field on the 26th (see service record 51175 Fowler).  The caveat is not to rely on one service record but I have found other men from Kent who ended up in the 19th Manchesters so I guess it was the same draft.

2 hours ago, Neil 2242 said:

I should have added to that: he was being held in PoW camp at Stendal, Germany

Edited by Neil 2242

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

There are limited records for Pte Hougham on Find My Past,(and presumably Ancestry) including a letter from his wife asking as to his whereabouts in April 1918.

These show he was a Derby Scheme recruit attesting in December 1915 unfortunately his mobilisation date to the Training Reserve is illegible although his wife states he transferred from the 19th Manchesters '2 or 3 months ago' (probably when that Battalion was disbanded in February 1918.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/manchester-regiment/

Looking at other service records of men from Kent (or Kentish men if you prefer) they were called up for service in March 1917 and transferred to the 19th Manchesters at the Infantry Base Depot at Etaples on 24th June 1917 - joining the Battalion in the field on the 26th (see service record 51175 Fowler).  The caveat is not to rely on one service record but I have found other men from Kent who ended up in the 19th Manchesters so I guess it was the same draft.

Thank you. That there are so many documents available, including one from my Nan just seems incredible. I never dreamed there was so much on record about him. 

1 hour ago, Neil 2242 said:

I should have added to that: he was being held in PoW camp at Stendal, Germany

Thank you Neil. I think I have found this record this evening as I have joined the Manchester forum. There is far more info out in the digital world  than I ever dreamed to find