Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Indentifying missing medal.

VicsGarage

Hey everyone,

First post to the forum.

I just got handed my great great grandfathers medals from WWI by my dad who found them cleaning out my grandfathers house.

This is the first I've heard about these or his involvement in the war so I don't know much.  I've identified 2 of them.

The first is  Italy WW1 Medal for the 50th Anniversary of the Great War Victory 1918 1968 by Mancinelli & Bartoli Gold 18k

2nd is the Italy WW1 Order Vittorio Veneto Knight's Cross Italian Republic.

In the one photo of him, you can clearly see a 3rd one. Looks like a blue ribbon with a dark medal. Wondering if anyone would know what it is. Probably a long shot but figured I'd ask.

Also, has anyone researched Italian vets from the first WW? Is the Italian government of any use in getting records and stuff?

Thanks

DHEI2050.JPG

Likely Al Valore Militaire, an Italian bravery medal, as I recall it was issued on bronze & silver depending on the act of bravery/gallantry. Both had a blue ribbon.

I dont have a photo to hand to show you but a mate will be along to provide one I am certain.

Thanks you might be right.

from what I've gathered so far, the two medals I have were issued to survivors 50 years after the war. Looking at the uniform and reading about the battle that one award is for leads me to believe he may of been part of a Bersaglieri battalion.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bersaglieri A sharpshooter / cyclist battalion part of the advanced guard. Looks like several battalions of that type participated and a bunch of those awards were given out.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on where to take the search to next.