Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would a certificate have accompanied a DFC awarded in 1918?

annieb22

Would a certificate have accompanied a DFC awarded in 1918?

I have been looking through paperwork belonging to my husband's grandfather and there is a certificate for his MiD of that year but no certificate for his DFC. His medals were stolen about 40 years ago so I am wondering whether this might have been stolen too. I suppose I am wanting to know if such a thing ever existed in the first instance or whether it is lost from the family.

Edited by annieb22

Hi Annie 

A certificate would not normally be issued, well I will caveat that I have never seen one and I have a few DFC groups. Your grandfathers name would be added into the London Gazette and in many cases a citation would exist derailing the specifics of why the award was granted. What was your grandfathers name, we may be able to help you with some additional details. 

Regards

Richard

1 hour ago, kingsnorth36 said:

Hi Annie 

A certificate would not normally be issued, well I will caveat that I have never seen one and I have a few DFC groups. Your grandfathers name would be added into the London Gazette and in many cases a citation would exist derailing the specifics of why the award was granted. What was your grandfathers name, we may be able to help you with some additional details. 

Regards

Richard

Thank you Richard. His name was Air Commodore C.N. Ellen D.F.C. although he was a Lt. Observer when he earnt his D.F.C. in 1918. We do have his citation thank you and, in fact, a lot of paperwork of his whole career which I've been scanning. We have the original 'copy' letter of the notice sent to him about being awarded the D.F.C. and also the phonogram telling him he needs to turn up at Buckingham Palace on 24 July 1919 but nothing like a certificate which I thought might have been the case. If you've not seen one, then that makes me think we haven't missed out on it.