Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birth certificate information

busterfield

To keep things simple regarding a family history problem I have a few questions. On birth certificates issued to children born December 1905, and the first quarter of 1911 what information would be included on a birth certificate ? I have a couple of exact dates of birth of children from from post WW1service records, yet cannot find them on, https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl   Can I apply for birth certificates usin name and date of birth ?  They don't seem to be record friendly as I cannot find them on 1911 census forms, yet on the 1921 the father is dead. As he was alive in 1913 and dead in 1921 I'm wondering if he was a WW1 casualty. Asking for more information would get tricky as the mother known then as May Hawkins born 1890 in Dublin was also Bridget Mary. Her husband named on a wedding certificate as Percy could from family lore be John who served in the navy. See what I mean about tricky..

31 minutes ago, busterfield said:

To keep things simple regarding a family history problem I have a few questions. On birth certificates issued to children born December 1905, and the first quarter of 1911 what information would be included on a birth certificate ? I have a couple of exact dates of birth of children from from post WW1service records, yet cannot find them on, https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl   Can I apply for birth certificates usin name and date of birth ?  They don't seem to be record friendly as I cannot find them on 1911 census forms, yet on the 1921 the father is dead. As he was alive in 1913 and dead in 1921 I'm wondering if he was a WW1 casualty. Asking for more information would get tricky as the mother known then as May Hawkins born 1890 in Dublin was also Bridget Mary. Her husband named on a wedding certificate as Percy could from family lore be John who served in the navy. See what I mean about tricky..

What information do you have on the man and we'll see what we can pull up - we've cracked similar ones before !

Craig

From Ancestry. This is the only reference to the paternal name. It is in Edward John Hawkins born 23/12/1905. From his service record which gives NOK as Mary 85 princes road, the same as the 1921 census which gives his brothers as Percy 10 years 4 months, and Joseph 7 years and 10 months at the time of the census. Bridget M(ary) born 1888-1890 appears appears in a number of electoral rolls in theythirties and fifties along with Percy Clement Hawkins and P.J.C Hawkins. The youngest brother Joseph Edward Hawkins,  https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/2128586/joseph-edward-hawkins/

Gives parents M. B. Hawkins as the mother used any version of Bridget, May, and Mary this could just be the mother's name. aside from that very little. I was hoping for information on what is included on birth certificates.

wedding.JPG

hawkinsmother.JPG

Thank you for that picture. I wasn't sure if father and mother were mentioned on pre 1911 certificates. I think I may be shelling out a few £11s to GRO soon.

1 hour ago, busterfield said:

the father is dead. As he was alive in 1913 and dead in 1921 I'm wondering if he was a WW1 casualty

What details do you know of him ?

Craig

As good as nothing. The only real reference to him is in the wedding of his son shown in an earlier posting. That along with family lore that says he may have been in the navy, and he may have been named John.

If you register with GRO and search from their site although the search is a bit more basic you will get the mother's maiden name in search results for pre-1915 births which might help and costs nothing.

TEW

2 hours ago, busterfield said:

On birth certificates issued to children born December 1905, and the first quarter of 1911 wha

as the mother known then as May Hawkins born 1890 in Dublin was also Bridget Mary.

It may be more difficult with the fact that she would only have been 15 when the first child was born.

As he was alive in 1913 and dead in 1921 I'm wondering if he was a WW1 casualty

What is the 1913 record ?

Craig

On the assumption that Percy died in England, Freebmd has only 3 suitable candidates between 1913 and 1921.

Are any of these deaths in areas where the family lived?

Perhaps local newspapers can give family details.

Surname  First name(s)  Age  District  Vol  Page 

Deaths Dec 1913   (>99%)
Hawkins  Percy S  22  Southwark  1d 45  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Jun 1915   (>99%)
Hawkins  Percy J  24  Bridge  2a 1265  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Deaths Mar 1920   (>99%)

HAWKINS  Percy H  34  Brighton  2b 315  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Regards,

Alf McM

Using Tew's advice I registered at GRO and got results. It seems as though Mother's maiden name was Towers. So I'll save myself £4 per son by downloading a PDF @£7 a go.

This is th marriage on Freebmd.

Regards,

Alf McM

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

Marriages Mar 1905   (>99%)
HAWKINS  Percy Clement    Fulham  1a 389  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
TOWERS  Bridget Mary    Fulham  1a 389

btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Whoever completed the form knew enough to know he was married 6 years but he declared no children to the mariage.
image.png

Craig

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

MFB - Metropolitan Fire Brigade?

Form was filled in by the landlady, Mrs. Cooper.

I thought that as well about MFB.

Craig

Thanks for the many replies. I had spotted the 1911 census, but the no children threw me off track. As my grandfather walked out of his marriage around 1920(ish) I know it happened. I see that the the Navy service didn't last very long. I'll have a good dig around in the ancestry tree and check what I can before accepting everything.