Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification (William Ernest Stace)

daz68

Hi, I am new to the board and hoping somebody might be able to help me.

I am trying to find out which regiment and any other details about a relative of mine who served in WW1. His name was William Ernest Stace and he was born in 1893 in Eastbourne. Attached is a photo of him in uniform. No one in the family has any idea whether he survived or died in the Great War.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Darren

Darren,

There are 8 William Stace's listed at the National Archives in the Medal Index Cards (individuals who were awarded medals for WW1). There is no William E Stace. Only one man has no middle name listed and is a possibilty. The man with no middle name is Royal Field Artillery and is probably a territorial so one of our RFA experts should be able to tell you what unit he was with.

The photograph could be consistent with the Royal Field Artillery. No badges to identify his unit are clearly visible but he seems to be wearing a white lanyard (consistent with artillery) and the rank of Lance Corporal/Lance Bombardier.

Medal card of Stace, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 43 Serjeant

Royal Field Artillery 905013 Serjeant

Royal Field Artillery 730609 Serjeant

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=8

There are no William E Stace's listed as died on either CWGC or SDGW.

Are you certain he saw active service or do you know anything else about him? Are you sure his middle name is Ernest?

You can read more about researching him by clicking The Long Long Trail link at the top left of the page.

Rgds

Tim