Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps and Info Re: Battle of the Hills April/May 1917 Moronvilliers-Cornillet-Mont Haut

ford232

Hi all. I'm new here. I am interested in this time and area as a family member on the german side died there.

I do have the regimental histories for IR98, IR130, IR135, IR476.   I've found some July 1917 and 1918 French Trench Maps which are great, but no such luck for German maps at the trench level or earlier in April/May 1917. I do have some of the Division level maps from Doppelschlact volume, and these somewhat generic maps (See attached).  Does anyone know where I might look for some, especially for that April/May 1917 timeline?   I'm trying to figure out what was where, and piecing it together little by little.  I would appreciate any pointers, and would be glad to share some of what I have so far. Thank you and Happy New Year!

a3.png

Basically, I think what I'm after is what this map looks to be. That was posted here (and which encouraged me to join) previously.  Other information or discussion welcome too of course. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, ford232 said:

Hi all. I'm new here

Welcome to the forum.  This one is undated and the only information is at the bottom plus the text Unit boundaries. 26 J.D, G.E.D, 199 J.D.

The extract is from the IWM / WFA collection.  Click on it to expand and sing out if you want a larger version.

image.png.d5ba8701f9180cdc42a28d9f27441735.png

image.png.7eb903f248ca369f1daed35c090f76a4.png

Thank you! Yes that is helpful and a new map for me!  Do you have a larger version including some the area north of Moronvilliers?  In particular, I'm trying to understand the II/98 disposition on the NW slopes of Keilberg on May 20th, which seems to be where my relative fell. But beyond that, the entire day of May 20th seems pretty confusing.

II IR98 Keilberg.JPG

Edited by ford232
adding image.

Hi, Click on this to enlarge, then PM (private message) me for a larger version.  Hover over my avatar and you'll see a gray Message button.

image.png.f637f3d598c34f9a4519941ca6fcda8b.png

• 1 year later...

Luckily enough, I was able to buy a canevas de tir from 1917 that has been helpful as well!  It is amazing to me that these maps can still exist in reasonably good condition over 100 years later.

Great to hear.  As you say, wonderful to think how much has survived.