Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown soldier France 1917

austin08

Hello all,

The file shows a carte postale marked " France 1917 - with compliments of the season" on the back. No other information known.

Is anyone able to identify the cap badge? 

1917_0001.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Although distorted, I think the badge is Artillery.

Michelle 

I too think it’s the badge of the Royal Artillery that has been bent to match the curvature of the cap, which was quite a common practice.  It might even be a Canadian variant of that badge, but I’m limited to what I can see on a phone screen.  I’ll be interested to see what @CorporalPunishmentcan see.

NB.  I do not know if the Canadian variant badges were worn in France and Flanders, or just in the depots where they were formed.

850ECECB-9BA5-4A5C-9E41-DCFB9593F524.jpeg

83D8FFD9-B62A-411A-A486-63C40408E933.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

13 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Looks more like the Canadian one when you look at the outline.

image.png

Craig

Thank you Craig, I agree that the enhanced image suggests that.  I wasn’t sure whether the numbered badges were worn in F&F, perhaps @RNCVRwill know.

Unfortunately unable to assist as I am not a CEF badge collector.

3 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Unfortunately unable to assist as I am not a CEF badge collector.

No problem I just thought you might have the general knowledge of it, I realise that naval matters are your primary thing.

I have over the past 50 yrs or thereabouts viewed a lot of CEF cap badges & this cap badge just does not have the appearance of a CEF badge. It appears to be some kind of tree to me, but just a guess on my part...

Unfortunate we cannot see all of his tunic buttons - that would clench it - ie: Canuk or Brit...

Edited by RNCVR

Thank you all for responding to this post. Its very helpful.

I can see the comparison with the Royal Field Artillery cap badge which gives a squarer outline within the limits of the photograph. I'd been trying to compare the cap badge to county regimental cap badges.

The research links are tenuous but it was tucked into a packet of photographs from areas in Lancashire and Yorkshire from 1908 to about 1930.

regards & thank you again

Daryl

21 minutes ago, austin08 said:

Thank you all for responding to this post. Its very helpful.

I can see the comparison with the Royal Field Artillery cap badge which gives a squarer outline within the limits of the photograph. I'd been trying to compare the cap badge to county regimental cap badges.

The research links are tenuous but it was tucked into a packet of photographs from areas in Lancashire and Yorkshire from 1908 to about 1930.

regards & thank you again

Daryl

I’m confident that it’s an artillery badge, but just not 100% positive which one.

What puzzles me is that everything about the photo appears to be relatively in focus except the cap badge. No blurring to the head or the cap or anything else for that matter. I can see why the RA is a possibility but that cap badge just looks weird to me. The crown, if it is a crown, looks to be a QVC and the central part of the badge just looks odd.   Pete.

10 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

What puzzles me is that everything about the photo appears to be relatively in focus except the cap badge. No blurring to the head or the cap or anything else for that matter. I can see why the RA is a possibility but that cap badge just looks weird to me. The crown, if it is a crown, looks to be a QVC and the central part of the badge just looks odd.   Pete.

Yes I noticed the crown standing particularly proud too, Pete.  There’s a lot of visual distortion from reflected light combined with the bending of the badge into a curve I think.  Overall though the key features of an artillery badge are still apparent, but which one exactly is unclear.

Edited by FROGSMILE