Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun photos

Paul Hederer

Posted some photos from Verdun. Was a memorable trip:

Werkost.com

Follow the link "Verdun photos"

The photos are pretty large, so it may take some time to download.

Paul

Nice pictures Paul. I've been there several times, it's always flooded. Does anyone know if restaurant at Hotel St. Paul has reopened?

Paul

I am planning to visit Verdun during the first week of May. Is two days enough to see everything ?. What should i not miss !

Peter

Peter,

I spent pretty much two days on the battlefield, with some time out for sleep. I don't know if I could have fit much more into two days. I don't think most people would like to keep that type of schedule, especially if the significant other is along, or kids.

With that in mind, I would say that two days isn't enough to see everything, but this really depends on your level of interest. If you prepare beforehand, and have a good list of things you want to see, that can aid your planning a lot.

Your time also depends on what it is you want to see, and why. If you have a special interest in some area because of some event, it may take hours to look around--others you might pass in the car and never notice.

Guess I'm not answering your question, am I? I would say that two days is enough for me at Verdun, but that you can't see everything there in two days. I find battlefield visits to be a pretty emotionally draining experience, and like to take them over time, and in small bits, but I have the luxury of being able to travel pretty frequently.

If you plan ahead, have some good maps, and form a good route, you can see a significant portion of the battlefield in two days.

Paul

Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. It has been a while since I spent a week there. Is the Citadel still open and showing that great black and white film.

Is there any information on the Citadel on the internet. I would love to explore that place. I mean the whole Citadel not only the bit open to the public with the Unknown Soldiers selection etc..

It would cost half a day for the Oussaire, its tower and stero pictures. Another half a day for Fort Dumont, Fort Vaux and the "Bayonetts". Forget their real name.

A day to visit the museum and the Citadel and the sacred road, monuments, etc. Then there the battlefields, the lost villages and so on...

Liam

Great pictures Paul, some really show the moonscape created by shellholes. I've never been but these pictures have made me think about doing so.

Paul, Definitely great pictures. I think I need to revisit Verdun to get the most out of it. The last (and only time) I was there I was starting to tire of the constant battlefield walk. I did take The Price of Glory and reread specific sections as I walked around Douamont. That was really moving.

Andy

I think one of the most important aspects of any battlefield visit is preparation and good maps!

My pet project is my Verdun map that I've been working on for about 9 months now. I'm trying make complex information easier for the average person to understand via colors and graphics.

One of the things I spent my time doing this weekend was taking panorama photographs from known locations, using a gps, and visual reference, and then comparing what I saw, to what the map was "telling" me.

I had two friends with me, and I noticed that they could much better understand what they were seeing on the ground when I showed them on the map such things, "as you can see this was built here to cover this area."

You have to get people involved in what they are seeing, especially children. When you can say, "OK look over there, that's Ft. Vaux. This fort we are standing on was built in relation to it, so that they could protect each other," it makes the experience much more immersive.

One of the things that struck me most was the natural beauty of the place. I was glad to see joggers running there, and that, at least partially, life had been restored to the area.

Paul

I've been to Verdun for 10 times now and I can say, you need at least one week to see the most. For a beginner the first step should be into the museum "Memorial de Verdun" near Fleury. Besides the "tourist paths" like Fort Vaux, Douaumont etc. you should do a walk on some of the smaller paths over the battlefield and into the forests. There you will see, what "war" means. The things you will see in the museum and on the "tourist path" is nothing compared to things you will encounter there! Dud shells, hand grenades and human bones are still lying around. Away from the tourist route you will see the real face of war. And it is still very very ugly even after nearly 90 years! And it is dangerous of course! You walk over thousands of dud shells on every path. Watch your steps carefully and TOUCH NOTHING! Here are some examples:

#1 This was a soldier who died for a country which doesn't care for his remains anymore:

For more images and informations see my website (link in the signature). For a very good english and dutch website please see my friends site at: http://www.battleofverdun.nl

#2 A dud french 120 mm shell together with an emtpy french 75 mm shrapnel shell. Right of them are some horse bones.

Nice pictures Paul, the forts looked very bleak, hate to think what the area was like when they were under fire. As one who cant get over there as often as I would like please keep the pictures coming some of them are real eye opener's.

Thanks Len

Thanks for the nice comments.

My friends have also added their photos online. Some nice interior pictures of Ft. Douaumont there:

Verdun images

Paul