Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grandson complains about branch on grave of F H Fanstone, 17th Hampshire Regiment

Moonraker

Whats stopping him from doing either of the following;

1) Contact the CWGC.
2) Stop moaning and do something about it himself.

"If it's "getting on for two years" since he first spoke to Reading Borough Council, I'd think that the council has had something rather more important to deal with, plus most councils are hard up, and, sadly, maintenance of cemeteries isn't a priority. I reckon I could move most of what's on that grave by myself, and then assess what needed to be done about the trunk, and, anyway, there's a 'Friends of Reading Old Cemetery,' he should speak to them. Friends of Reading Old Cemetery (facebook.com)

"We are a group of local volunteers who are the 'eyes and ears' of Reading Old Cemetery. In collaboration with Reading Borough Council, we help to manage this designated 'Local Wildlife Site', run community events and guided walks. We also undertake research on the people buried here and help survey the flora and fauna of this amazing green oasis here in East Reading"

He has my sympathy, but the grandson doesn't even live in Reading; Wallingford comes under a different council.

Edited by BereniceUK

According to the article, the work was done on Friday 7 Jan 2022:

Reading Borough Council said it had now removed the branches.

A spokesperson said: “A Council team visited the site last Friday (7 January) and has cleared the fallen branches and strimmed around the grave, leaving it tidy.

"We apologise to Mr Fanstone this has not been resolved sooner. The parks team also plans to revisit the cemetery as part of the planned winter maintenance works and carry out a wider clear up of encroaching undergrowth or fallen branches whilst being mindful of the rich biodiversity within the cemetery.

“These graves and monuments within the cemetery commemorate the ultimate sacrifice made in service of our country and it is important we keep that memory alive for future generations to come.

"Alongside local volunteers, such as the Friends of Reading Old Cemetery and Reading Tree Warden Network, we aim to maintain this site on a conservation basis. Over the past 18 months this has been harder to achieve during the pandemic. However, the good news is there are plans to restart the volunteering group in the near future.”

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Facebook entry:

"I am pleased to announce that after a prolonged break - the practical conservation work parties will resume at Reading Old [Cemetery] on the afternoon of the FIRST Sunday of every month - starting on Sunday 6th February.

After meeting with Reading Borough Council we have a list of winter jobs to be undertaken - including cutting back some of the encroaching bramble and ivy, removing some of the ash trees that are growing on graves etc. We will then create habitat piles with the cut materials.

I know that some people have voiced concern about 'too much clearance work' being done at the site given that it is such a wonderful nature reserve and an important wildlife corridor linking other nearby green spaces - so rest assured, that we will of course be sensitive in our approach and will follow the sites Local Wildlife Management Plan."

• 2 years later...

Useful website: http://cemeteryjunctionwargraves.org.uk/

Having been approached about a Canadian's grave,  I'm about to offer guidance on accessing ANZAC and Canadian service records.

(There are also a few war graves linked to Brock Barracks by Norcot Road, Tilehurst, Reading.)