Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irelands Memorial Records

curranl

Hello All,

I have a copy of the above and can do lookups of men who died in the First World War who were from Ireland or Englishmen who served in Irish regiments. The database is searchable by name,place of birth, date of death, etc. There is not a huge amount of information on each man, but it does give battalion and place of birth.

Regards,

Liam.

And fine work he does as well.

Here is some information:-

"Ireland's Memorial Records: World War 1 1914-1918. At the end of that war, the Committee of the Irish National War Memorial compiled the information on this disk under the direction of the Earl of Ypres. The result was eight volumes of information about 49,400 49,000 Irishmen who served in the British Army and lost their lives fighting in the Great War. Published in 1923, it is the most complete record known to exist, but only one hundred copies were printed. Now Eneclann has put these volumes onto CD-ROM, where you can easily search for relatives and then view the page as it was originally published.

This compilation is special in several ways. Not only does it record the names of the dead, but it also records their rank, regiment, date of death, and regimental number. In most cases, the soldier's county or place of birth and the place and date of death are recorded. All 32 counties in Ireland lost men in the Great War, more than 5,000 from Antrim, 4,800 from Dublin, and 3,000 from Cork alone. Indeed, it is likely that every village, town, and city in Ireland at the time was touched in some way by the loss. With so many families affected, there is likely a significant number of family historians who may be interested in these records.

As the introductory information on the CD explains, the committee that extracted all these names from official records was not able to obtain a complete list of the names of the fallen Irishmen in the Navy, Air Force, and Colonial Regiments. Keep in mind that all of Ireland was a part of Great Britain and Ireland at the time, and the army regiments were part of the British Army, although many of them consisted solely of Irishmen. The books covered all the counties in Ireland, including what is today called Northern Ireland."

***Only comment I have is that it does not contain all the irish soldiers that fell and the CD version contains the same small mistakes as the original books. So as any good historian or genealogy researcher should do, double check with the Databases of/and CWGC or the SDGW-ODGW****

Keep up the good work, Liam in the South

From Liam, born in the North

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, so I wasn't around :D . The entry for your man:

Flook, Reginald. Reg. no. 10966. Rank, Private, Connaught Rangers, second Battalion. Killed in Action, France, November 11, 1914. Born Bristol, Somerset.

If you would like to see the actual page from the Memorial Records, send me a PM with your email details on it and I'll send it on.

Regards,

Liam.

Guest Simon Bull

I would be very grateful if you could look up for me:

(1) Ezra William Miller, 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, killed on or about 21 March 1918.

(2) Ernest John Smith 5th Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, killed on or about 12 October 1918.

Thanks.

Simon Bull

Hello Simon/Mark,

Simon;

Miller, Ezra William, Reg. no. 42397. Rank Private, 2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Killed in Action, France, March 21st, 1918 ( no details of place of birth).

Smith, Ernest John. Reg no. 31094. Rank Private, 5th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Died of Wounds, France, October, 13th, 1918. Born East Haddon, Northamptonshire.

Mark,

There are four Samuel Orrs, but none of them correspond to your man. There are gaps in the records, as Des has discovered

Regards,

Liam.

Liam

As a point of interest can the cd be searched by place name? The reason I ask is that I have been trying to compile a list of casualties from the Mdleton area.

Thanks

Pól (Paul)

Hello Pol,

The database is indeed searchable by place of birth. It lists 38 men from Midleton who fell. Send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you on the list, but note that there are some gaps in the records.

Sorry I didn't get to reply to your post sooner, but I was on me hols :D

Regards,

Liam.

Hello Curranl.

I have the paper version of the Memorial records, I wish I had the CD instead with its search facility though!!. Would you please see if there are any names of guys born in or lived in Holycross, Co Tipp please. I have the 2 Hayes boys, McCormack and Leahy.....are there more?

regards.

Tom Burnell

Dear Curranl

Can you look to see if your database has the following officer:

T/Maj Thomas Roche, Wiltshire Regiment, KIA November 1914

Thanks in advance

He is not in the book version.

regards.

Topm

How'ya Tom,

Searching for Holycross gives 5 men:

Michael McCormack 9902 - also in as Michael Cormack (same no.)

William McCormack 14573

Leahy 2699

and one you may not have - Patrick Keogh 21963 RDF.

Hello Wiltshire,

Entry for your man does not have much detail:

Roche, Thomas. Rank, Major, 1st Wiltshire Regiment. Killed in Action, near Ypres, November 1914.

Regards,

Liam.

Hello All,

I have a copy of the above and can do lookups of men who died in the First World War who were from Ireland or Englishmen who served in Irish regiments. The database is searchable by name,place of birth, date of death, etc. There is not a huge amount of information on each man, but it does give battalion and place of birth.

Regards,

Liam.

Many, many thanks for the information on Midleton's soldiers.

Paul

Gotcha, the reason I did not get Keogh is because he was from Holycross in Dundrum not Tipp. hey, thanks for the lookup any, much appreciated.

regards.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sheila Macauley

Could you check for a Dennis Dillon who is listed on his gravestone as dead on 8 May 1917. We suspect he died in WWI but no one knows for sure, He was from Co. Londonderry, Ireland. Forever grateful.

Sheila :rolleyes:

He is not listed as having died in 1917, if he died in 1914 then we have our man and there is lots of info for him, was he born in Glendermott?

There is only one Denis Dillon and he died in 1914 in Irelands memorial records.

Tom

Guest Sheila Macauley
He is not listed as having died in 1917, if he died in 1914 then we have our man and there is lots of info for him, was he born in Glendermott?

There is only one Denis Dillon and he died in 1914 in Irelands memorial records.

Tom

Maybe that is him and the date on the gravestone is incorrect. Can you give my any information on him. Glendermott is in Co. Derry and it is possible it could be him. I can figure it out maybe with more info from the record. Thanks. Sheila

2nd Batt Inniskilling Fusiliers Enlisted in Londonderry, born in Glendermot, and residence not listed so it is usually the same, KIA 18/10/14, his infofrom the cwgc is;

Name: DILLON, DENIS

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 18/10/1914

Service No: 8064

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 5.

Cemetery: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

This indicates that he has no known grave and is only a name on a memorial. A bit of a mystery.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Liam

Could you please look up Rifleman J Byrne 6562 - Rifle Brigade

KIA 17.08.1917 late of Dun Laoghaire Co. Dublin

Thanks a million

Anthonyl

Hello Anthony,

Entry for your man is as follows:

Byrne, John. Reg. No. 6562. Rank Rifleman, Rifle Brigade, 12th Battalion. Killed in Action, France, August 17, 1917. Born Dublin.

Send me a PM if you want a copy of the actual page from the Records.

Regards,

Liam.

Hello All,

Regards,

Liam.

Hi Liam, could you please look up Horgan from Co Cork particularly any from Milford, Liscarrol or Buttevant

Many Thanks

Patrick H