Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Service Records

Dakawales

Can anyone help me decipher my grandfather's naval records attached which I downloaded fronm The National Archive , I know he enlisted 21/10/1914  demobilised 14/09/1917 I also know he was demobilsed to the Chinese Custon Service Oct 1917 but there is a lot of info there I don't understand.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8464939

Many thanks 

David

W Jenkins Naval Service p2.jpg

W Jenkins Naval Service p1.jpg

Yet another truly dreadful low-resolution (and out-of-focus) scan fom TNA, Personally I find it to be mostly unreadable. Others  with x-ray vision may be able to help you. I cannot. I would be asking for my money back - if it were not free.

Unforunately the Fleet Air Arm Museum, who hold the original record card, are not accepting enquiries until at least April. Four years ago they used to provide full colour hi-res copies. Good luck!.

Horatio2,

Thank you for your response, yes I agree that the quality could be better but considering the technology that was probably available at the time of scanning and the amount of documents scanned it probably was pretty good for the time, future scans should be better seeing as they have farmed it out to the likes of ancestry etc. my cynical side say's they probably won't be any better and they will blame TNA.

That said, I will try and contact the fleet air arm museum.

Thank you again

David

From what I can distinguish there  is a reference to "RG 22612 / 2.7.23 J applies for medals" and RG 47384/ 2.10.17, would I be correct that RG22612 and RG 37384  are the "Regulation" ID's and the 2.7.23 ans 2.10.17 the dates they applly to my grandfather?

image.png.2699dfe928cb3435a00a25ffaef413d1.pngimage.png.1bc7e0f5cdd14f27118ff8847240a9c3.png

The "RG" numbers and dates will be references to correspondence (probably originated by the office of the Admiral Commanding reserves) on the subjects noted.  July 1923 is a likely date for his medal claim.

Many thanks to Chris Baker of The Long Long Trail for deciphering this record proving me with a lot of information about my grandfather's service.