Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcard from Jassy (Iasi), Romania, March 1918

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi all. I recently purchased this postcard which indicated that it was taken in "Jassy" (Iasi), Romania in March 1918.

I would be interested if anyone would be able to ID the seniornofficer talking to the sailor (?). A couple of other things of note is that the officer on the left appears to be holding a French Berthier rifle. Also the officer in the background appears to have a large and unusual cap badge (possibly RNAS?) and wears the ribbon for the MC. Wouldn anyone be able to provide any further information on this postcard?

Kind regards

James

20220103_212442.jpg

20220103_212507.jpg

20220103_212521.jpg

What an interesting picture!

I would agree that it is a Berthier and it appears to be an 07/15 (the original 3 round format) rather than the M1916 with an extended, external magazine.

Judging by the shape of his holster - the officer front and centre might also be armed with an automatic rather than a revolver, might also suggest an RNAS connection (a bit of a stretch but...)

Chris

EDIT -- possible connection RNAS armoured cars in Romania

Edited by 4thGordons

On 05/01/2022 at 02:19, 4thGordons said:

What an interesting picture!

I would agree that it is a Berthier and it appears to be an 07/15 (the original 3 round format) rather than the M1916 with an extended, external magazine.

Judging by the shape of his holster - the officer front and centre might also be armed with an automatic rather than a revolver, might also suggest an RNAS connection (a bit of a stretch but...)

Chris

EDIT -- possible connection RNAS armoured cars in Romania

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the observations. I did note the odd shape of the holster. As you say, most likely an automatic. I cannot seen any naval type cuff thanks which I thought RNAS officers wore? Although the chap at the back is a little bit blurry, so that doesn't really mean much. 

My eyes are also drawn to what appears to be flat bed railway wagons on the far right? Not sure if there are some sort of vehicles on them.

Regards

James