Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Geoffrey Percival Bulmer Military Cross Royal Flying Corps - Units?

Blue Dragoon

Evening everyone

Can some kind RFC expert have a look at the attached RFC service record for Lt Geoffrey Percival Bulmer (son of HP Bumer of Hereford Cider fame) and confirm which RFC units he served with?  I'm finding the acronyms a bit hard to de-code

very many thanks

George

GBM_AIR76_65_0_0491.jpg

Will give the it a bit of a rather speculative go - to help promote your request back up towards the eyes of the much more knowledgable!!

MOVEMENTS

Unit to 

which

1 S of A   [School of Aeronautics]

Wire & Obs  [Wireless & Observation]

HQ TB

No10 Sqdn Overseas

1 S of A

24 Wing

No 15 TS  [Training School]

Outgoing

Authority

Bde/O  [Board of Observers?]

???

Then I seem to have run out of speculative ideas ;-/

M

That's a great starter for 10, many thanks.  Yes, I'd picked up the press cutting.  Very sad.  I think it was his traumatic experience at Delville Wood with 5 KSLI that preyed on his mind so badly.  

‘The ghastliness of the place has left it’s mark upon the minds of many men who are not troubled much by the sight of battle’ wrote Mr Phillip Gibbs a war correspondent who wrote for the Daily Chronicle and Daily Telegraph.  ‘Those slashed trees, naked trenches, and smoking shell holes build up a nightmare that men will dream again.’

A very prophetic statement with respect to poor Geoffrey

This picture of the Delville Wood battle was Drawn by H.W. Wilson, published in “The Great War” by the same man, 1917. 

Delville Wood is infamous for the savagery of the hand to hand fighting that took place there. 

Delville_Wood_Battle_July_1916 (1).jpg

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Bde/O  [Board of Observers?]

Not sure why I put Board ??? - surely Bde = Brigade??? And of course O might be Officers.  Still not sure those would make sense!

Anyway this post will bounce your thread up again.

*** Might also suggest that you perhaps ask the moderators to move this thread into the 'War in the Air' subforum for fewer Army based ideas/blunderings!!

Good luck.

thanks Matlock!

• 2 years later...