Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MH106 Hospital case sheets, the frequency of entries?

RogerWill

I have been looking at the MH106 case sheets (medical notes) for Craiglockhart (plus a few other psychiatric war hospitals) and am wondering about how we can best understand the frequency  of entries in the sheets. The sheets typically begin with a long entry (maybe up to a page) describing the history and presentation and this may be then followed by a series of dated entries  of a few lines each summarising follow up. In the case  sheets I have looked at the gaps between entries are typically  days or weeks. Does anybody know if the frequency of entries on the case sheets reflects every doctor-patient contact  or were these simply added on an ad  hoc basis, perhaps when staff had time? Was there an official requirement for such record keeping?

Thanks

Roger

4 hours ago, RogerWill said:

I have been looking at the MH106 case sheets (medical notes) for Craiglockhart (plus a few other psychiatric war hospitals) and am wondering about how we can best understand the frequency  of entries in the sheets. The sheets typically begin with a long entry (maybe up to a page) describing the history and presentation and this may be then followed by a series of dated entries  of a few lines each summarising follow up. In the case  sheets I have looked at the gaps between entries are typically  days or weeks. Does anybody know if the frequency of entries on the case sheets reflects every doctor-patient contact  or were these simply added on an ad  hoc basis, perhaps when staff had time? Was there an official requirement for such record keeping?

Thanks

Roger

Interesting question. I would have thought that case notes would have been kept, somewhere, of every medical intervention but were these sheets just kept as a case to record periodic updates.

Can you post an example of one ?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Here is an example of a typical sheet, this one pertaining to a RFC officer, with two consecutive entries perhaps dated a month  apart. Its difficult to believe there was not more doctor-patient contact during this period. Were these sheets for clearly physical injuries (as opposed to psychological conditions) similarly intermittently completed or was there more of a daily record kept in such  cases?

Roger

MH106.JPG