Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual 'stamped' Death Plaque?

thedawnpatrol

Came across this Death Plaque to two brothers, is it unusual to find two names stamped like this ?

Just now, thedawnpatrol said:

Came across this Death Plaque to two brothers, is it unusual to find two names stamped like this ?

IMG_8606.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG

No, the name should be embossed, not stamped or engraved. I would say that the name of the original recipient has been erased & the names of these two soldiers substituted.

A close up photo of the named block might show signs of erasing.

agreed,  , there would have been two plaques, one to each brother. Ive got a couple of examples myself , one pair of brothers and also three brothers killed= 3 plaques.

the names would have been reverse stamped as in Dymo tape then set into the panel area of the sand. pressed then the molten bronze poured in so the name stands out in relief.

current copies are cast blank and can only be stamped in, hole fillers, probably, the only way to see if its been removed would be to xray it.

Edited by chaz
copies

Ok, thank you both, I'll pass on buying it then.......

cheers 

Never seen one with 2 names so it’s defiantly an unusual (made up) item 

• 2 weeks later...

Likewise, never seen one with two names or any name stamped like this example. I wonder if the family wanted to commemorate both men on both plaques to try to keep them togther so to speak. Presumably there would be another memorial plaque somewhere with the same names. A quick search of the CWGC database shows two men of these names from Maccelesfield though different addresses for the NOK.

The WA mark is 'Woolwich Arsenal' where production was transferred from Acton.

On 11/01/2022 at 09:11, UKAIF said:

Likewise, never seen one with two names or any name stamped like this example. I wonder if the family wanted to commemorate both men on both plaques to try to keep them togther so to speak. Presumably there would be another memorial plaque somewhere with the same names. A quick search of the CWGC database shows two men of these names from Maccelesfield though different addresses for the NOK.

The WA mark is 'Woolwich Arsenal' where production was transferred from Acton.

as mentioned previously, there would have been only one name per plaque , so two brothers would have had two plaques.

to back this up, attached a photo of 3 brothers medals, the two outer ones died and have seperate plaques. there was a third brother killed but his plaque and trio went to his wife in Cornwall. The other brothers were living in the same village along with 2 other brothers and a cousin, the cousin also died and I know where his group is.

gleed.jpg

Edited by chaz
update

You will find some plaques that were officially engraved in this style and all to New Zealand Casualties.  New Zealand awarded plaques for wounds attributable to the war after the factory closed.  Defective plaques had the name chiselled off and the new detail engraved.  Geddes Todd served as an alais and his parents probablt requested a plaque in his real name not the Attested Alias name.

Geddes Todd.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Engraved plaque 3.JPG

Engraved Plaque 1.JPG

• 5 months later...

just worries me whose original plaque was erased to do these.. clearly see the file marks especially in the second war one.

The J Barry one is a copy plaque cast in a more brassy metal than the original Bronze used.  What we forget is these were pretty worthless in the early 80's £2:50 - £3:50 each. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 06:12, 303man said:

The J Barry one is a copy plaque cast in a more brassy metal than the original Bronze used.  What we forget is these were pretty worthless in the early 80's £2:50 - £3:50 each.

Even in the late 80s I saw a pile 30cm high at a market stall, where they had clearly been bought from a scrap metal dealer to save them from being melted down.

• 1 month later...
On 12/01/2022 at 21:40, chaz said:

as mentioned previously, there would have been only one name per plaque , so two brothers would have had two plaques.

to back this up, attached a photo of 3 brothers medals, the two outer ones died and have seperate plaques. there was a third brother killed but his plaque and trio went to his wife in Cornwall. The other brothers were living in the same village along with 2 other brothers and a cousin, the cousin also died and I know where his group is.

gleed.jpg

The point I was making (though clearly not as well as I might have done!) was that if the family altered one plaque in the manner shown, they may have made a second. I am aware one name per plaque but, as members will have seen over the years, plaques were altered in so many ways once received by the family - drilling, mounting, polishing etc. (I too have medals/plaques to three brothers and a pair to two brothers.)

I suppose that (excluding the WWII plaque) some of the engraved plaques could have been the original plaque issued for that casualty, perhaps the family had them defaced altered to contain a full name, date of death, regiment etc., rather than the non-specific forename & surname.