Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bestavuk, 83 coy MGC

o j kirby

Hello,

I have a Range Card drawn up by an officer with the 83rd Coy. MGC, 28th division, and relates to a location on the Salonika front. The only named location is "Bestavuk Kop". My initial searches for Bestavuk has produced very limited results, and maps online are modern and in Greek or Bulgarian? text. The range card is dated 11/6/18. The other reference points are visible elements of topography, trees etc. Can anyone on the Forum offer any information on the location, a map, and anything on the 83rd MGC?

Many thanks,

Owain.

Hi Owain,

Bestavuk Kop is on both the Lahana 1:50000 and the Bashanli 1:20000 maps, these are available from the Salonika Campaign Society on their trench map CD.

Bestavuk is approximately 3 km east of Bashanli. There is a list of modern name equivalents but I can't find it at the moment. Nearest modern town I can find on Google maps is Kirkini (formerly Butkovo), Beatavuk was approximately 5 km south of Butkovo. 

Edited by Gardenerbill

As Bestavuk is well behind the front line in June 1918, the range card must have been drawn for either practice or for future defensive purposes in the event of a Bulgarian attack.

Many thanks for the replies. I have neglected the Balkan front over the years that I have had my WW1 interest, and time to do something about it.

Owain.