Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elie and Earlsferry War Memoiral: James Anderson, Golf Professional

Hedley Malloch

image.png.70018fe3304cceb6ac3406377bb1829f.png

Elie Monument.jpg

There was a James McKay Anderson, Private 265884 of the 6th Battalion of the Royal Highlanders. He died on the 12th August 1918. He was aged 36 years. The son of Andrew and Flora Anderson of Glencoe Villa, Elie, Fife and husband of Elizabeth Paisley Anderson. The 1901 Census records that this James McKay Anderson was an apprentice mason.

James Anderson (golfer and club manufacturer), son of James 'Jimmy' Anderson was born in St Andrews, Fife on the 25th July 1870.

James died at his home (31 North Castle Street) on the 9th June 1944. The newspaper 'The St Andrews Citizen' published on the 17th June 1944 carried an article which I have attached below. (images courtesy of Find My Past)

My earlier post suggests that the James M Anderson on the memorial matches what I found, i.e. rank, battalion and regiment match.

Death report 1.jpg

Death report 2.jpg

Death report 3.jpg

Death report 4.jpg

Death report 5.jpg

Death report 6.jpg

The James McKay Anderson listed on the Elie Memorial is buried in Roisel Communal CWGC Extension, died 12 August 1918. The father and son golfing Andersons are not the same family - or at least not the same branch of the Anderson family tree. Thanks for the information that James McKay was listed as an apprentice mason in the 1901 Census. He must have changed professions between 1901 and his death.

Always glad to assist when I can. The obit that I found and posted made interesting reading, he was well regarded for his club making skills as well as his playing ability.