Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Records of death has Prisoner Off War 1918

2li

Hello

Can any one tell me if there are any official documents other than the CWWG which give details of soldiers who died as Prisoners of War

I am looking into the case of Pte George Roberts 201116 4 K.S.L.I., who according to the Red Cross information I have found

He was captured on the 10 of April 1918 at Messines Ridge and sent to Fredrichfelds Pow Camp in Germany after some time in this camp

He died on the 23 October 1918, buried in the camp cemetery and later reburied in Niederwehren Military Cemetery, Kassel, Germany, Grave Ref V. M. 4.

I have no documents official documents only the relevant medal cards, and surprisingly nothing in the pensions records has he was a married man with children

Only other information I have found although vage is the following newspaper entry from the Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News 3 January 1919 Missing: Robert’s G. 201116, “D” Coy., 1/4th K.S.L.I. Prisoner of Friederichseld Camp, 7 October 1918, believed to be released on 11 November, Mrs. Robert’s, of 13 St. Michael’s terrace, Shrewsbury,               

Any help or leads will be most greatly appreciated

Philip                                                                                                                                                                           

Hello,

So instead of continuing the other topic, you start a new one? (and a thank you to the people who did some searching in the old topic wasn't an option? Is that "greatly appreciated"?)

Anyway, you would be able to read there that 1. the man was probably never in Friedrichsfeld POW camp, 2. that he died on the Lazarettzug from Charleville in France to Gießen and 3. then was buried in Gießen.

Jan