Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres

MACRAE

:ph34r: Going to Ypres this saturday and i need my fix i am and not ashamed to admit a badge junkie yes i have been a junkie for 35 years now, What i would like to know is is there any militaria shops etc in Ypres so i can browse etc and most important a internet cafe so i can check my emails .

Dan :ph34r:

Hi

The only shop that really sells militaria is the "Shell Hole", but on Sunday if you are here, there is a military fair being held at the Expo Centre starts at 9.00a.m will be a big one.

Can get your e-mails checked at "Game mania" which is by the canal and very cheap or the NovaTel but they can be pricey.

Liz

Hi Liz

Would you be so kind as to post some more information regarding the fair this coming Sunday. The location of the Expo Centre would also be a help.

Kind regards

John

Hi John

The Fair is at Westhoek Exp, Albert Denhemlaan 27, 8900 Ypres

Off the N38 Ieper/Poperinge road

From the Best Western go straight down that road, cannot really miss it.

Starts at 9.00 a.m until 3.00 pm and is 3.00 euro admission

Large Military Market of weapons for collectors, uniforms etc.

Go to www.westhoekexpo.be

for a map

Regards

Liz

Hi Liz

Many thanks for the swift reply.

Have already booked an early, very early, train ride! Should be there just after it opens.

Kind regards

John

Glad to of been of service, have a good day trip over.

Liz

Hi FraJohn and Dan,

I too go to Ypres(for the 1st time) this weekend. Arrive Friday, leave Sunday. Staying at the Novotel. Have a good day.

Christian

:ph34r: Hi all thanks for the replys but my trip has been called of due to my wife being ill :( and a dr that could not find his way out of a building with torch map and compass any way thanks it shows the forum has good contacts and helpful members .

Dan

Have already booked an early, very early, train ride! Should be there just after it opens.

Can you give me details of your train journey please. I have this fear of driving on the wrong side of the road and would like to try a visit by train.

Thanks, enjoy the day.

Hi Pooter

Sorry to disappoint, but, the train I mentioned is one to carry my car!

Because it is only going to be a day trip, I have booked a very early shuttle. The price was just £39 return. The downside is that as I live in Devon, it does mean a hotel bill for the Saturday night, local to the tunnel.

Driving on the right is far easier than you think, I find the hardest part is on the return to the UK. In general I have found the traffic far lighter than in the UK.

Kind regards

John

You could get a train from Waterloo to Lille (1hr 40mins ) then train to Kortrijk change for Ypres, they run every hour.

Cheaper at the weekend very expensive in the week.

But easier by car, if I can drive on the other side of the road anyone can, easier over here than England, roads are clear!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

Dear LizM,

does this fair at Expo happen every weekend? I'm going to Ypres 6-10 May and would love to visit a militaria or flea market if there is one anywhere over that weekend. Thanks.

Kerry