Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Sargeant Jagger

john w.

Saw on the recent antiques roadshow mention of Charles Sargeant Jagger, a relative brought in some jewellery made by him. There was some surprise as he designed the Royal Artillery memorial in London.

Anyone got more info on him?

John

Although my middle name is Jagger from my mothers side I dont have him on my family tree although it wouldbe nice :D

There was an article done on him in I think "Stand To" (WFA)

Fred J Carss

What an artist! My favourites are the big bas relief panels on the Cambrai memorial at Louverval. Terrific pictures well worth a wee trip from your usual Somme places (10-15 min East of Bapaume

• 2 weeks later...

John, I just came across this topic and thought I'd provide some further information. There are two books on Jagger I would recommend:

Compton, Ann (ed), 1985, Charles Sargeant Jagger - War and Peace, Imperial War Museum

Compton, Ann, 2004, The Sculpture of Charles Sargeant Jagger, Lund Humphries

Here is a short biography compiled from the first book.

1885 - born at Kilnhurst, near Sheffield

1899 - apprenticed to a metal engraver

1905-1907 - taught engraving at Sheffield Technical School of Art

1907 - Awarded scholarship from West Riding County Council to study at the Royal College of Art

1911 - Completed course at Royal College

1914, July - Awarded Rome Scholar in Prix de Rome in sculpture

1914, Sept. - renounces scholarship and enlists in the Artists' Rifles

1915, 23 Sept. - sails for Gallipoli as a 2nd Lieutenant in 13th Battalion Royal Worcestershire Regiment

1915, 5 Nov. - wounded, shot through left shoulder and hospitalised on Malta

1916, January - returns to England

1916, 6 March - marries Violet Constance Smith

1916 (no date given) - sent to Newton Rifle Range on the Isle of Wight to teach recruits - by this time promoted to Lieutenant

1918, 15 April - badly wounded in the battle of Neuve Eglise - awarded Military Cross

Whilst convalescing applies for and obtains a commission from the British War Memorials Committee for a bas relief depicting The First Battle of Ypres 1914.

From this time on Jagger worked privately as a sculptor and completed many commissions, including those for war memorials.

1934, 16 November - dies at the age of 48 from a heart condition.

Jagger's war memorial works comprised:

1918-1919 - The First Battle of Ypres - bronzed plaster relief

1919-1920 - No Man's Land - plaster bronze relief

1919-1922 - Hoylake and West Kirby War Memorial - soldier and humanity - granite and bronze

1921 - The Sentry - bronze - Britannia Hotel, Portland Street, Manchester

1921 - Portsmouth War Memorial - figures representing the army and navy - stone

1921 - Bedford War Memorial - Victory - stone

1922 - War Memorial Church of St Michael and All Angels, Birmingham - Victory - stone

1922 - Great Western Railway Memorial - soldier reading a letter - bronze

1922-1923 - Anglo-Belgian Memorial, Brussels - a Belgian soldier, an English soldier and two reliefs depicting Belgian peasants assisting British wounded - stone

1921-1925 - Royal Artillary Memorial, Hyde Park Corner, London - statues of a driver, a shell-carrier, an artillary captain and a dead soldier, reliefs of Horse Artillary and heavy artillary - stone and bronze

1926-1928 - Nieuwpoort Memorial to the Missing - three lions - stone

1927-1929 - Port Tewfik Memorial, Suez - two tigers - stone

1927-1928 - Tank Memorial, Louverval, Cambrai, France - two reliefs depicting trench warfare - stone

Jagger was one of several sculptors and former soldiers, engaged by the Imperial War Graves Commission (as it was then known) to design and carry out works associated with the construction of war memorials. Two others of note are Eric Kennington and Gilbert Ledward.

Hope these notes will be of benefit.

Chris B

hello Chris B

Hope you do not mind asking a question. You seem very knowledgable. A former officer of the 1st Birmingham Battalion (14th Royal Warwicks) whose name was Emile Wilkinson Jacot was awarded a Rome Scholarship after WW1. And according to an elderly relative of his he was supposed to have done some work on statues for memorials.

have you heard of him or know of his work?

Regards

Terry Carter

Terry

I haven't come across Emile Wilkinson Jacot yet. I did a quick Google search, but nothing came up. Did Jacot work on the overseas memorials or was his work confinded to Britain? Some of the leading sculptors did sub-contract work, particularly where it was a large piece and they were also running other projects. If you can give me a few days I'll hunt around a see what emerges.

Regards

Chris

Sorry Chris

I do not know what work he was supposed to have done. I have only seen a large Bas Relief that is in storage at Birminghan Museum and Art Gallery called 'Christ The Redeemer' however it has nothing to do with WW1. By the way, whilst at the British Scool at Rome, he developed a lung condition and went to visit relatives in Switzerland hoping the mountain air would be good for him.... sadly it was not and he died.

He was originally wounded in the lungs near High Wood on 21 July 1916.

Terry

Emile Jacot was a student at the Slade when he won the Rome Scholarship in 1925 for a sculpture titled "Sport". It would be worth contacting the Slade to enquire for further information.