Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA ledger query on dates

TEW

I'm not sure that either of these give a date for when the pension was applied for. I assumed probably incorrectly that he applied post-discharge 2/10/1918 and pension starts 3/10/18 but could this be backdated?

Earliest date I see on the ledgers is May 1920, CMS?

The other problem I have with this man is change of address/region from Wolverhampton to Sale 19/10/1920?

I have a letter written by him 5/10/18 giving the Sale address two days after his pension commences on the Wolverhampton ledger, if I've read the ledgers correctly he didn't move to Sale for another two years.

Perhaps he was in Sale Oct 1918, moved to Wolverhampton applied for pension (backdated?) then moved back to Sale 1920 or he's up to something.

Thanks

TEW

Images from WFA/Fold3

Combined.jpg.d34c71f989eff0af9efe16b23b830347.jpg

The pension records certainly state he was discharged 2 Oct 1918, with the pension starting 3 Oct 1918.

The ledgers themselves were only created in 1919/1920 and so entries to them would rarely be backdated to show things from 1918. Looking at surrounding numbered ledgers, they were mainly created From May/June 1920 onwards.

A case would, in the first instance, be dealt with centrally and then later transferred to the regions. It would appear that the ledger was then only created when something needed to be dealt with, so it could be sometime before the ledger was actually written up. In this case something needed the awards branch to look at the case in July 1920, so it was probably the lead up to this from May 1920.

The formal notification of the change in address was only made in October 1920. Prior to this the region 6 address was still in place (or at least was from May 1920) - someone had to be collecting the pension as the books were held at the local post office and a change of address would trigger a change in post office (and vice versa).

Craig

Craig,

Thanks, It's at least a plausible explanation that he was in Sale in Oct 18 but had moved to Wolverhampton by May/June 1920 then back to Sale in Oct 1920.

Dates and locations seemed out of kilter had the Wolverhampton ledger existed in Oct 1918.

TEW