Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VC, TFWM awards

Steven Broomfield

An idle curiosity sparked by FB. The Soldiers of Shropshire FB site has a post today concerning Private Harold Edward Whitfield, VC, who won his gong in March 1918 (today is the 65th of his death - run over by an army lorry, ironically). At the time of his award, Whitfield was a Private with the 10th (Shropshire Yeomanry) Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry, having served with the Shropshire Yeomanry since 1908 (and on to 1934).

There is a photo of the galland gentleman, post war, wearing his medals: VC, BWM, VM, Territorial Efficiency Medal ... and Territorial Force War Medal.

Here's the curiosity: to have a TFWM and VC must, I assume, be relatively rare. Does anyone know how many VC winners were also TFWM holders? 

• 3 weeks later...

Lt White VC, also held the TFWM I doubt there are many!

Edited by HarryBettsMCDCM

19 hours ago, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

Lt White VC, also held the TFWM I doubt there are many!

Thanks Roger. Haven't seen you for a while: keeping well, I hope.

Completely irrelevantly, I was thinking of you a few weeks ago: I was in Cambridge and visited the church in Newnham (can't remember the name) as I was passing and decided to take photos of the war memorial. Arthur Innes Adam is on the memorial, which reminded me of his death plaque.

A potter round the Ashcroft Collection might be instructive, I suppose.

18 hours ago, Neil 2242 said:

Corporal James McPhie is another.

Thanks

The VC TFWM combination is made rarer by the fact that a man did not qualify for the TFWM if he had qualified for the 1914 Star or the 1914-15 Star.  So, for example, Lsgt Douglas Belcher a pre-war territorial of the London Rifle Brigade who was awarded the VC for his bravery at 2nd Ypres would have been ineligible for the TFWM.