Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to confirm medals awarded.

Jacob1999

Good evening , 

I’m going to get my great great grandads medals redone by Worcestershire medals as they have been lost through the years. I would be grateful for somebody to confirm he won the 1914 star ? It comes up on the medal roll of army order 350 that he won it , but not recorded on his medal card. So a tad bit confused.
As seen on the images attached. 

Kind Regards. 

9715DE33-E077-4054-AE99-A5457AF3947B.png

B4283EE2-4E4E-482D-B12F-DA34FA9A0263.png

The card was created initially for the 1914 Star, see 1914 marked at the top.

Essentially it's a 1914 Star medal card that was re-used to show the roll numbers for the BWM & Victory in the red stamp box.

The F/2/5/100 reference matches the Medal roll page 100 top right.

TEW

You know he was also a Boer War veteran?

Queens South Africa medal, 3 clasps (Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal), KIngs South AFrica Medal with usual 2 date clasps

Hello , 

I never knew that he was involved in the boer war , have you got anything to prove this for me so I can show my family please ? My nan always told me that he served in the First World War & told me nothing much else , 

kind Regards 

15 minutes ago, Jacob1999 said:

Hello , 

I never knew that he was involved in the boer war , have you got anything to prove this for me so I can show my family please ? My nan always told me that he served in the First World War & told me nothing much else , 

kind Regards 

From Ancestry

31794_221526-00107.jpg.55e61bed50e93a41665c94dc55ded716.jpg

31794_221476-00573.jpg.baba1d9c91f8161838e9e870e35f4194.jpg

George

At least your chances of finding a medal to him have just increased !

• 3 weeks later...

Have you thought about joining the British Medal Forum (BMF)?

It may be worth your while as there is a “Seeking Family Medals” section there. Your great great grandfather’s medals may be lost to the family but could very well still be out there, including those for the Boer War. They may even be with one of the members/collectors on the BMF. No guarantees, of course, but you just never know.

https://britishmedalforum.com

Martin

Edited by MartyG

Jacob, there would be a bronze Memorial Plaque for your great great grandfather too - is that still with the family?

I was also just having a browse through the DNW website, their auction archive, in case his group had passed through their sales. Sadly, they did not come up, but they are just one auction house, but this medal popped up, sold back in 2012.

Not your great great grandad’s, but I did wonder, given the Staffordshire link, whether he was also a relative?

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?lot_uid=218836

On 08/01/2022 at 23:40, MartyG said:

Have you thought about joining the British Medal Forum (BMF)?

It may be worth your while as there is a “Seeking Family Medals” section there. Your great great grandfather’s medals may be lost to the family but could very well still be out there, including those for the Boer War. They may even be with one of the members/collectors on the BMF. No guarantees, of course, but you just never know.

https://britishmedalforum.com

Martin

Good morning,

I’ve just signed up for it and I’ll have a browse through to see if I can find anything and also memorial plaque isn’t it in the family anymore either. As far as I know checking the family tree that the medal sold in the auction house , I’ve checked the family tree.

Thank you for the help it’s appreciated. 
kind Regards