Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WO2 Richard Ernest Robson

Robbie Robson

Hello, I am new to the forum and this is my first toe into the water so please excuse my naivety.  I would like to share with you that WO2 Richard Ernest Robson (S/N 2448), 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards is my Great Grandfather!  I am also called Richard Robson (actually so were the last 5 generations). I am a former WO1 RM, retiring 7 years ago after 28 years Service. I am in possession of his service medals, the original portrait photo detailed above and also his pocket Diary (update daily from 01 Jan, 1915 until the date of his death, 27 Sept, 1915). I have walked the ground at Loos some years ago and have visited numerous cemeteries to cross check those detailed as KIA within his pocket dairy against cemeteries in the vicinity of actions described. It has been a fantastic journey of discovery. I am sure the information contained within would be of interest to you 'Coldstreamer' and I would be more than happy to share it with you and of course the wider forum.

R E Robson died of wounds 27 Sept 1915, he is detailed on a plaque under Coldstream Guards within Duds Corner Concentration Cemetery, as no identifed grave.

However, I discovered he died from his wounds at Rutoire Farm, buried initially directly behind the farm. His body, along with about 50 other men was exhumed in 1919. Unfortunately at this point he has been unidentified and therefore has no marked grave in Duds Corner. However a good friend of mine managed to get hold of the original burial report and exhumation report and we noted the name of the body to his left and right in both cases. The bodies were removed and place into Duds corner in the exact same order. On identifying the same two names (which lay to his left and right in the battlefield cemetery at Rutoire Farm) on marked graves within Duds corner the grave between them is to an Unknown Soldier! Clearly this is my Great Grandfather and I wish to try and build a case for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to consider a marked grave for him. Any advise or support would be greatly appreciated. 

Portrait RE Robson (2554) IMG_3336.jpg

Medals RE Robson (2554)IMG_3337.jpg

IPocket Diary 1915 RE Robson (2554)MG_3384.jpg

Dairy first page IMG_3385.jpg

Diary - Jan 1915 .jpg

Two named graves either side of Unknown Soldier in the same order of 1919 Exhumation report.jpg

Example of Dairy entry KIA and confirmation on Ground.jpg

Dairy - Last entry day prior to KIA 27 SepIMG_3434.jpg

You state ‘However, I discovered he died from his wounds at Rutoire Farm, buried initially directly behind the farm’

where is this information from and please can provide a copy of it, as it would help to give you some help

Hello

have you seen the picture of him in 1913 ?

Actually it was 1912

D95CE0BA-ACA6-4CC3-8D7B-DC715515579A.jpeg

I now know that medals to 5 of these men are extant 

Hi Chesterboy, a forum member 'Joroti' was kind enough to conduct some initial investigations regarding my Grandfather on my behalf (11 Dec 2010 thread above), when our paths crossed whilst both serving some 11 years ago. Out of which came the attached news paper clipping detailing where he was buried on reporting his death. (Thank you John, it's been a while).

Two years ago I renewed my search to find out more and visited Loos.  A friend who studies WW1 manage to find a burial report from the 72nd Field Ambulance Station, which was based at Rutoire Farm, this confirmed his burial at Rutoire Farm. I visited the Farm some two years back and the battlefield grave location was detailed on a 'Trench map' from the battle. It is now a vegetable patch some 100 metered from the Farm Building. He also managed to find an exhumation report from 1919. Both documents provided the order of burial and exhumation respectively, these matched the order of marked graves within Duds Corner Concentration Cemetery (with an unknown Soldier grave located between those who were detailed as left and right of Robson at Rutoire Farm). I do not have copies of the documents available, as I am currently outside the UK. I will try to get a copies sent to me to share with you, any help would be appreciated. 

If I remember correctly 72nd Field Ambulance Station and Rutoire Farm was also mentioned on his Service Certificate, along with the description of his wounds (Gunshot wound to the chest), though it is more likely to have been from Shrapnel due to the date of his injury and actions underway by the Bn at the time. I did approach the Guards Museum at Birdcage Walk some years ago, to see if I could gain some more information and share the Diary details with them, but I received no reply at the time. 

Thank you for sharing the full picture from 1912 Coldstreamer, fantastic to see the whole picture and in such clarity, greatly appreciated. I had only seen the clipped image of my Grandfather previously. 

Does the Register of Soldiers effects detail RE Robson's effects Alf McM, or just Rutoire Farm in general? 

image.png

My pic Was from a mid 1920s. Coldstream journal 

great find! It will now find itself pride of place in my Study, alongside the medals, thanks again.

Any ideas how I would identify which Company he was serving in at Loos? 

10 hours ago, Robbie Robson said:

Hi Chesterboy, a forum member 'Joroti' was kind enough to conduct some initial investigations regarding my Grandfather on my behalf (11 Dec 2010 thread above), when our paths crossed whilst both serving some 11 years ago. Out of which came the attached news paper clipping detailing where he was buried on reporting his death. (Thank you John, it's been a while).

Two years ago I renewed my search to find out more and visited Loos.  A friend who studies WW1 manage to find a burial report from the 72nd Field Ambulance Station, which was based at Rutoire Farm, this confirmed his burial at Rutoire Farm. I visited the Farm some two years back and the battlefield grave location was detailed on a 'Trench map' from the battle. It is now a vegetable patch some 100 metered from the Farm Building. He also managed to find an exhumation report from 1919. Both documents provided the order of burial and exhumation respectively, these matched the order of marked graves within Duds Corner Concentration Cemetery (with an unknown Soldier grave located between those who were detailed as left and right of Robson at Rutoire Farm). I do not have copies of the documents available, as I am currently outside the UK. I will try to get a copies sent to me to share with you, any help would be appreciated. 

If I remember correctly 72nd Field Ambulance Station and Rutoire Farm was also mentioned on his Service Certificate, along with the description of his wounds (Gunshot wound to the chest), though it is more likely to have been from Shrapnel due to the date of his injury and actions underway by the Bn at the time. I did approach the Guards Museum at Birdcage Walk some years ago, to see if I could gain some more information and share the Diary details with them, but I received no reply at the time. 

Thank you for sharing the full picture from 1912 Coldstreamer, fantastic to see the whole picture and in such clarity, greatly appreciated. I had only seen the clipped image of my Grandfather previously. 

Does the Register of Soldiers effects detail RE Robson's effects Alf McM, or just Rutoire Farm in general? 

image.png

It interesting to read, I’m sure rive read something that the guards service records were kept separate from the normal service records.  I would what, is in there and 

Yes they where kept at Wellington barracks now with MOD

Oddly no killed died wounds papers for coldstreamers are with the national archives but non killed are 

10 hours ago, Robbie Robson said:

great find! It will now find itself pride of place in my Study, alongside the medals, thanks again.

Any ideas how I would identify which Company he was serving in at Loos? 

I don’t sorry. I have rolls for the other battalions from various time periods but nothing for the 2nd

My interest in the picture and your relative is that I have medals to 3 of the men . Missed out on a 4th :(

Could  send me a high res picture of the medals pls. I’ll send a PM