Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval reserve medals

Mike Coombs

Medals left to right are:  1914-15 star, British War medal, Victory medal,  & RNR LS ( Long service) medal.  The ribbon on the War medal should be on the RNR LS medal(but this ribbon is incorrect it should be green) & that orange central ribbon on the War medal.

G. Oliver was an ERA ( Engine Room Artificer - a skilled tradesman) serving in the RNR ( Royal Naval Reserve).

There should be a Service Record for him in the NA.

The red/white/ blue ribbon on the 1914-15 star needs to be reversed so the red band is on your left as you look at the obverse ( front) of the star.

Thanks RNCVR. That had me foxed. I hadn't considered that ribbons had been switched. I also thought that the RNR LC medal ribbon was green but I have found some with a blue ribbon with white edges.

Mike

ERA George OLIVER served in the RNR from 10 Sep 1904, as 444.EA during his first five-year enrolment, then as 234.EB for his second and third periods (including WW1) and finally as 26.ED for his fourth period to 1924.

He was awarded the RNR LS & GC Medal.

His 444.EA record has not survived but scans of the other two records are at Kew (the originals  are held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum (part of the National Museum of the Royal Navy)).

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8662067   and

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8663274

40 minutes ago, Mike Coombs said:

Thanks RNCVR. That had me foxed. I hadn't considered that ribbons had been switched. I also thought that the RNR LC medal ribbon was green but I have found some with a blue ribbon with white edges.

Mike

No Mike, the ribbon on his LS medal now is the RN LS ribbon,  he likely would have the green RNR LS ribbon but that would depend upon when he was awarded his RNR LS medal, as post war that ribbon was changed to green with a central white stripe & 2 edge white stripes.