Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Monuments

Richard Bain

There is every possibility that I'll be driving through northern France in June and I could do a detour along the D929. It would be a whistlestop tour of the Somme. Could any pals out there let me know where there are distinctly Scottish memorials? I know where the 16th RS is at Contalmaison and the 8th A&SH at Beaumont but I would appreciate any others

Thanks,

Richard M Bain

There is an HLI memorial cairn on the edge of High Wood.

How about the Tyneside SCOTTISH Memorial seat at La Boiselle.

I assume it is still there.

Whilst Malcolm advises you not to go out of your way to see the Pipers memorial at Longueval, it may be worth visiting for its "newness" if you have not seen it before. It is then only a short distance to High Wood where you can see the memorial to the 9th Bn of the Highland Light Infantry (the cairn of stones), and the marble memorial to the Cameron Highlanders and Black Watch.

Further afield is the impressive monument to the 8th Bn of the Argylls and Southen Highlanders at the side of the Hawthorn Crater Ridge, with another smaller monument to the 51st Scottish Division as you leave Beaumont village on the road to the Redan Ridge.

The main monument to the 51st Division, the Kilted Highlander, is at the far end of the Newfoundland Memorial at Beaumont Hamel, that involves a walk through the Park, and which you might find difficult fitting into you itinerary.

Tony

The 51st Division memorial is the most impressive and worth the time.

Malcolms comments on the pipers made me laugh :D I wondered if it was me. Newness aside I think it requires a bit of weathering. My late father in law (a 2nd Bn B.W. piper) was not impressed.

But hey beauty is in the eye of the beholder - glad you cant see me!

Fred

Thanks Pals, we'll see what "Wheech McGhee" Tours can fit in and maybe at some future time I'll get back for a more leisurely stroll. I will, however, go and find the piper - what's the background and story? It certainly looks "interesting"!

Richard

There are also plaques in memory of the 15th, 16th & 17th H.L.I on the outside wall of the church at Authuille which are worth a visit.

I'm afraid I can't remember who it commemorates but there's the great Scottish memorial on the Douai road, just out of Arras - a grand tower house, surrounded by trench remains and large granite boulders inscribed to each regiment - seaforths, KOSB etc etc. Not a big detour from the A26, though a little daunting to get into - let me know if you fancy it and I'll send a wee bit more detail

Quite agree that modern sculpture does seem to miss the mark more often than not. If it's done in a representationalist way, no one seems to have the skill , talent or time and patience to do a decent job - and if they're abstract they are often just plain daft.

Good lord, I sound just like Prince Charles.

I'm definitely interested Graham, I'll be staying in Arras for the night before heading to Beauvais for a wee Ryanair back to Ayrshire hence the detour to the Somme. You should be able to reach me off Forum by E-mail

Richard

I'm afraid I can't remember who it commemorates but there's the great Scottish memorial on the Douai road, just out of Arras - a grand tower house, surrounded by trench remains and large granite boulders inscribed to each regiment - seaforths, KOSB etc etc. Not a big detour from the A26, though a little daunting to get into - let me know if you fancy it and I'll send a wee bit more detail

It's the memorial to the 9th (Scottish) Division and it is located on the Arras-Douai road, just short of Gavrelle and ona site called the Point du Jour.

Richard,

As Paul states, the monument at Point du Jour is well worth visiting.

I would suggest that the area around there is well worth the study if you are interested in Scottish military history.

Two visits in that area are well worth your time:

1: Guemappe British Cemetery with its high percentage of Seaforth graves and

2: Brown's Copse Cemetery at Roeux.

Roeux was built over a system of caves which helped to make its capture in 1917 exceptionally difficult. It was attacked by the 9th (Scottish) Division without success on 12 April, 1917. The chemical works close to the railway station were taken by the 51st (Highland) Division on 22 April and after incessant fighting, the village was cleared by the same Division on 14 May, 1917.

The memorial Cairn to the Edinburgh City battalions (15th and 16th Royal Scots) at Contalmaison.

All the best,

Tim