Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

98 Sqn Record Book Apr 1918 - Jan 1919

Errol Martyn

Would someone here have copied this file (AIR 1/1954/204/259/11) or carried out research into 98 Squadron for the period Aug 1918 - Jan 1919?

I am trying to confirm if Lt L. M. Isitt was posted in to the squadron as early as Aug 1918. His B103 has the date as 2 Oct 18 but there is some suggestion that he was there as early as August.

TIA,

Errol

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for checking, Nills.

Yes, 2 Oct 18 would appear to be correct. I've since found an entry in G A W's 7 Squadron RFC book that has Isitt dining in London on 2 Sep 18. Would have been difficult for him to have been in two different countries at the same time!

Cheers,

Errol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Errol,

I do have file, but only copied it from 7 October. The earliest Isitt appears in here is 9 October. Do you know what Wing and Brigade 98 squadron was with? Because I might have the Routine Orders for this period some where and they show new attachments and struck off men to respective squadrons.

Best,

Adam

Edited by Grid

Adam,

81 Wing (9th Bde) but June 1918 only?

82 Wing (9 Bde in Oct 1918) but June 1918 only?

Also 91 Wing Jan-Mar 1919 (came under GHQ).

No need to spend a lot of time on this as I am now satisfied that I have Isitt's correct in/out dates for the Squadron.

Cheers,

Errol

As far as I can work out, No 98 Squadron moved about a fair bit.  After moving to Clairmarais on 2 April 1918, coming under control of 2 Wing, 2 Brigade, subsequent moves were:

Alquines on 12 April, remaining with 2 Wing, 2 Brigade

Coudekerque on 6 May, under control of No 5 Group

Rousseauville on 6 June, 81 Wing, 10 Brigade

Drionville on 21 June, still 81 Wing, 10 Brigade until 25 June when it came under control of 9 Brigade (Wing unclear, probably 51 Wing)

13 July, Chailly on 13 July and Blangemont on 3 August, still 9 Brigade (and probably 51 Wing)

Abscon on 7 October, 51 Wing, 9 Brigade until 23 November when it came under 10 Wing, 1 Brigade until March 1919.

Graeme

• 7 months later...