Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sedd el Barr

paul guthrie

There is a little restaurant there I suspect most western visitors lack the fortitude to eat in, has some tables outside, lots of stray cats & dogs. What brave soul has tried it? I have eaten there but food was not theirs, was provided by tour operator, we bought drinks from them.

Also a few miles away North side of peninsula there's a fairly new basic motel, who's eaten there? Thanks.

Ptomaine Paul! :blink:

There is two I can think of, one on a staggered sort of corner cross roads at the top of a hill that has a few market stalls on the veranda. The other is just back from the beach. I have been to the one back from the beach where I bought alcoholic refreshment for the Wills no less. Didnt eat there I am afraid ...

The only newish (5+ years old?) motel I remember was close to Morto Bay.

Paul,

If you want a decent meal at Seddul, or close by, you could also try the Abide Motel. When coming from Alcitepe, turn left before you enter Seddul village and follow the signs that say 'Abide' (=monument). The motel is on the right, just before you reach Morto bay.

If it's a drink you need : when coming from Alcitepe, enter Seddul and carry on till you see an open space on the left. Park your car there, the cafe is at the other end of the open space. The cafe as such is nothing special, but their terrace is a must. It's probably the best panoramic view from under an umbrella you can get on the entire peninsula: to the right is the Old Castle, 50 m below you the Camber, and across the Dardanelles a view of Asia and the Plain of Troy. Yes, they have Efes birra.

CGI

Thanks guys, I hear Helles Panorama B & B has good chow, will probably stay there next time and avoid ferry which is a pain.

Looks like none of the pals were man enough to eat in this place! :o It does look a little rough but I'm going to have to give it a try.

Any one eaten in Antafarta or elsewhere in Suvla area?

Any one eaten in Antafarta or elsewhere in Suvla area?

Again only stopped for coffee in Anafarta - was not the cleanest of "restaurants" by a long, long way but very friendly to "foreigners".

I've eaten twice in the cafe with the panoramic views described by CGI. It was fine. On the first occasion I was there with two colleagues. we all had fish, I think. Second time I was showing a British Sergeant-Major and his wife around the area and we all had dinner there. And a beer or two. Great views.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

Regarding eating around the Gallipoli Peninsula (from one who lives and eats on it)

The café near the castle in Seddulbahir, called the Café Sed) is open from late spring to the end of autumn only, and I can vouch for the good food, featuring wide range of entrees and seafood, and beers are usually served a the right temperature (being an Australian this means cold). The view alone is worth the price of a drink.

The food at the Mocamp on V Beach is also generally good meatballs, seafood, cold beer chips and range of entrees.

Sadly, there is at the moment no eatery in the Anafartalar-Suvla area, though you can get toasted sandwiches and the like in the village of Bigali. However, there are plans in the future for a café (along with a private museum) to open in Buyuk Anafartalar.

Not having sampled the fare at the Abide Hotel I can’t pass judgement but know of others who have dined, lived and prospered.

The Helles Panorama pension is owned by a retired CWGC head gardener and the one time I have eaten there the food was home cooked, fresh and good.

Cheers

Bill Sellars

Eceabat

I ate luch at the Mo-Camp some years ago and the food was fine.

I have also used tha cafe Sed for snacks, but cannot comment on meals though it looked fine.

I have also snacked at the establishment on the Krithia road not far from Redoubt cemetery and that seemed fine.

The "cafeteria" at Anafarta to which Jon (signals) refers has provided fine refreshment but is not always wholly inviting - the clientele is essentially male and one female travelling with us on one occasion found it rather intimidating.

I have eaten superlative cakes and bakes in Eceabat and in Canakkale and enjoyed the coffee (yes, I am one of the few travelers who enjoy traditional turkish coffee).

I am told by friends who have stayed there that the food can be superlative at the Abide Motel.

The food at the Helles Panorama is my favourite being good traditional turkish home cooking. If there is a drawback for some it is that the died is not particularly carnivorous there, more a turkish trait that a deliberate policy, but hardened carnivores who prefer steak and chips may find the food a little lacking. Personally I think it superb. I also manage to polish off a bowl of olives over breakfast - but then again not everyone fully appreciates olives either. An added bonus is that there is a VC buried at the bottom of the garden and the Helles mem. is only a short stroll away.

On a final note the beer than Jon bought was as good as you will find anywhere in the area.

Martin said; “I am one of the few travelers who enjoy traditional turkish coffee”

Have you tried Turkish coffee spiced with cardamom; it’s delightful

I don’t know what the Turkish word for it is, but in Arabic it is coffee with ‘Hell’ [no connection to an English word which sounds the same]

A friend of mine who is addicted to Turkish coffee visited his son who teaches at Aberdeen University and returned home telling all who cared to listen, how amazed he was to find that it was unobtainable there.

I visited Cyprus in the 1970s just after the bust-up there and made the mistake of asking for a Turkish coffee in a Greek-Cypriot restaurant. I was politely admonished and informed that what I should have asked for was a ‘Cypriot coffee.’

Another Turkish coffee fan

Michael D.R.